Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Character & Fitness  (Read 3182 times)

Todd

• View Profile
Character & Fitness
« on: October 26, 2007, 04:37:06 PM »
I passed the ILL Bar exam, but now my file has been forwarded for review. I have to meet personally with an board member, 10/30. I have only a vague idea why. I failed to disclose one traffic citation, for failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident, to my school. The school required disclosure citations with $200 greater fine. The fine was $214! It never occurred to me that it was more than $200, I paid it ~5 years ago.

I apologized in writing to my school and they sent a letter to the Board pardoning me. Other than that I know nothing.

Anybody know what to expect?

james

• View Profile
Re: Character & Fitness
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 05:41:03 PM »
If that is really the issue maybe you should decline admittance to the ILL bar.  What a joke.  A bunch of losers needing to justify their existence.

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 11:13:38 AM »
If the guy's bored, he will grill you on ridiculous bull (like your speeding ticket) for hours on end.  If he's busy, on the other hand, he will ask you some easy questions and ask you to get out of his office. 
Yale Law School - Class of 09

mtfbwy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 01:17:06 PM »
You'll be fine. My only advice would be to use "IL" henceforth. 

gershonw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 07:15:04 PM »
to be safe..don't try to downplay the importance of not reporting the ticket (instead make clear that it was a mistake in your understanding of the facts not an affront to the rules.)  Do try to downplay the importance of getting the ticket (that its not something you typically do and doesn't show anything about who you are)

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 01:38:11 PM »
Turned out to be no big deal - he grilled me on my terrible traffic record (even 12 year-old tickets) for about 10mins and then we talked for another 10. His first sentence was "So tell me why I should let you practice law in Illinois with such a terrible traffic record." I've never even had a DUI, just a ton of misc. tickets, especially around age 17...

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 08:45:40 AM »
I'm sorry to bring up such an old thread, but wanted to ask . . . I've had 6 tickets, all for speeding, 3 of them were 30+  over the speed limit which I believe is considered reckless driving.  I had to take a defensive driving course but never lost my license.  I do not remember if the fines were over $200 or not.  Is this a concern?  I haven't even applied for schools yet.

Thanks!

yum, sheep

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 02:18:22 PM »
I'm sorry to bring up such an old thread, but wanted to ask . . . I've had 6 tickets, all for speeding, 3 of them were 30+  over the speed limit which I believe is considered reckless driving.  I had to take a defensive driving course but never lost my license.  I do not remember if the fines were over $200 or not.  Is this a concern?  I haven't even applied for schools yet.

Thanks!

I would just go ahead and put it into a brief addendum to the schools you are applying to. It will make you quit worrying and it wont come back to haunt you for not "coming clean". It will not hurt you chances during the application cycle.

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 02:46:04 PM »

Thanks!

I would just go ahead and put it into a brief addendum to the schools you are applying to. It will make you quit worrying and it wont come back to haunt you for not "coming clean". It will not hurt you chances during the application cycle.

Good point, will do!

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »

Thanks!

Good point, will do!

Oh and next time...try posting application questions over on the Law School Applications board on the pre-law side. You'll get a better response.