Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Use of "gay" on this board  (Read 11924 times)

XxGodJrxX

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Use of "gay" on this board
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 06:25:11 PM »
Here is the difference:

People use gay in this context.
People do not use "African-American" in this context. 

By YOUR standards:

Everytime I say " I F-ed up", it is analogous to saying "I African-American-ed up"
Notice that @#!* in this context does not have anything to do with sex, and yet, there it is used in a proper context.  On the other hand, "African-American" has not been used in this context.

Everytime I say "bull" in order to denote dishonest or something bad, I could just as easily say "Christianity!"
Notice that there is nothing about a bull's feces that means "dishonesty", and yet the word is used in that context while "Christianity" is not. 

It is really that simple.  If you have a problem with the evolution of language, I suggest you go to the moon and stop gaying up our message board.  GOOD DAY, SIR!

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 06:37:56 PM »
It's not a matter of intent. It's a matter of what you perpetuate by connoting gay with a negative adjective.  The word "Gay" does not mean stupid/annoying/ etc. That is not the definition of the word nor has it ever been the definition of the word. So why do you continue to use it? It makes no sense to use gay as synonymous with any of those words. It's simply not what "gay" means. The only reason you choose to continue to do so is because you want to perpetuate negativity and bigotry.

There are plenty of us who agree with you, so you know.
But there are also plenty of morons who spend time here pretending they are better than everyone else.  They like to pretend that their opinion is all that matters.
They are morons.
They will never accept the fact that you are correct and will, instead, pretend that you are the one with the problem.
Take a bit of advice on this:  Just stop posting.
These idiots think saying things are 'gay' isn't insulting.
They are the same sort of people who call other people 'retarded'.
It isn't funny.
You are correct.
The rest of the posters are childish.
One day, when they have a homosexual kid (or a retarded kid), they won't think it's quite so funny or 'cool'.
I would advise that you ignore these people.  Even though they know you are correct, they will fight you and tell you how wrong you are.
Lawyers don't say things like 'that's gay', only immature, closeted homosexuals or infantile frat boys do.
Justice is tangy....

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2007, 07:31:18 PM »
Hi everyone--
I have a question, which I'm sure will rile up the less-than-friendly folks on this board, but I am truly curious.  I might be out of the loop because I'm older than the traditional law student.

When people say stuff like "stop being gay" on these message boards, do they mean:
a) stop being dumb (or something similar), as I've heard "gay" no longer necessarily means homosexual in this context, or
b) stop being homosexual, as if the person said something stupid because s/he is actually gay and must therefore be stupid?

Although some statements I've read on this board are clearly meant to be anti-gay, it seems like the above one might not actually be intended to be anti-gay.  I want to know if I should think the person who wrote that (or something like it) is a homophobic idiot or not.

Relatedly, why are there so many homophobic statements made on this board?  Are law students as a group more homophobic than others, or are secretly gay-curious law students more likely than other groups to try to cover it up by gay-bashing?

Thanks!

You've got it all wrong...
The fact is when someone uses the term that way, they are saying "Hello.  I am immature.  It will be years before I am polished enough to fit into the real world.  I will undoubtedly screw up interviews and client interactions for years to come because I will invariably drop some incredibly shallow, stupid, immature thing.  I will lose many jobs, clients, and cases because I haven't figured out that the legal profession is supposed to be one of nobility, intelligence, and respect.  As long as my mom and dad keep paying for school, I don't have to grow up and can behave like a fool."
At least that's closer than to the truth. 
Justice is tangy....

XxGodJrxX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2007, 10:02:03 PM »
After taking a look at your post history, I do not think you are in the position to call anybody a "moron" or "immature". 

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2007, 10:08:54 PM »
After taking a look at your post history, I do not think you are in the position to call anybody a "moron" or "immature". 
I see.
So a posting history is a reflection of the truth now?
Interesting logical fallacy.
Regardless of my behavior in the past, nothing is as reprehensible as trying to defend the use of a word or words that are, by definition, inappropriate, rude, and offensive.
It is of no consequence that you think using the word "gay" is suitable when you mean 'stupid' or 'dumb'.
See, that word is used as a self-identifier by homosexuals.  Therefore, when you use it to mean 'stupid', you are equating stupidity with being gay.
So, keep on pretending that you have any kind of reasonable argument if it makes you feel better.  It just makes you look more like an ass, which is fine by me.
What you cannot argue is that someone already pointed out that it offended them.  You chose to ignore that so you could make some senseless argument instead of thinking to yourself "Ok."
Just remember, you are who you present yourself to be.  Use words that offend people, even if you have some lame-brained reasoning for it?  It's okay.  Just don't be surprised when people label you a bigot or a homophobe.
They aren't the ones with the problem.
You are.
Justice is tangy....

XxGodJrxX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 10:12:38 PM »
I don't think 'logical fallacy' means what you think it means. 

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2007, 10:19:06 PM »
I don't think 'logical fallacy' means what you think it means. 

And I'm quite sure it does:
"In philosophy, the term logical fallacy properly refers to a formal fallacy : a flaw in the structure of a deductive argument which renders the argument invalid."
jeffislouie posted something I judge to be immature or moronic in the past.
jeffislouie posted something reasonable and accurate
jeffislouie is in no position to point out immaturity or moronic behavior.

It's called a logical fallacy.  You better figure out how to avoid them if you ever plan to argue in court!
Justice is tangy....

XxGodJrxX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2007, 08:13:44 PM »
Let me spell this out for you, since you seem to be lacking in the reading comprehension department. 

I was calling YOU immature and a moron.  Why?  Because your post history suggests that you are an immature moron.
People that are immature and/or morons are not in an intellectual, moral, or any other position to judge what is immature or moronic.
Therefore, YOU are not in any position to determine who constitutes somebody that is immature or a moron. 

The end.

Notice that the post says nothing about your argument, which is idiotic and circular.  There are no premises, and no attacks on any arguments made in this post.  Your post only says that you are right, and that anybody that disagrees is a moron, and that they disagree because they are morons.  Very constructive.  I hope the irony is not lost on you, but judging by what you have to say here, my hopes are probably exceeding your capabilities. 

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2007, 07:04:28 PM »
Thanks for 'spelling it out' for me.
I guess I have some terrible reading comprehension skills, 'cause I thought there was some substance there.
Guess I was wrong.
Your clear, concise argument about how people should just accept that the word 'gay' means 'stupid', plus the words:
The End is an admirable one, complete with sensitivity for other peoples feelings.
Justice is tangy....

XxGodJrxX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2007, 09:16:07 PM »
Glad you understand  ;)