Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Use of "gay" on this board  (Read 11594 times)

bossfan2

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: Use of "gay" on this board
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 11:41:33 AM »
Interesting discussion; thanks guys.

One last thing--equating child molesters with gay people is just plain evil.  You can't possibly think that the process by which someone discovers he is gay is even remotely related to a child molester's self-discovery.  You can't get to law school and be that stupid, so you must just be that mean.

Oh, and I didn't choose to be gay any more than you chose to be straight.  I can't help it--I just love the ladies.  ;D

clee750

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 01:40:40 PM »
Ok, lets say I agree. You were born gay and later discovered that fact. Im ok with that. Maybe there is even genetic proof that shows you are more inclined to be attracted to the same sex. Could the same be true for child molesters? Could they be born with the natural tendency to be attracted to people much younger than themselves. Could there even be genetic proof to show that thety are naturally attracted to children. It sounds awful, but could it be true. 

Guinness

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 10:54:11 PM »
Actually I am a woman. And I am gay. And I did not "choose" to be gay. (but should note that if I had a choice I wouldn't "choose" to be straight) It's more appropriate to equate being gay with being left-handed (and certainly not with being a child molester). Who knows what causes one to be left-handed. Who knows what causes one to be gay. And honestly, who cares.

I think it's unecessary to equate being gay with being dumb/stupid. Because the word "gay" does not mean that. The only reason it has ever been used in that sense is because it was intended to have a negative connotation. And I find that offensive.

Ok, lets say I agree. You were born gay and later discovered that fact. Im ok with that. Maybe there is even genetic proof that shows you are more inclined to be attracted to the same sex. Could the same be true for child molesters? Could they be born with the natural tendency to be attracted to people much younger than themselves. Could there even be genetic proof to show that thety are naturally attracted to children. It sounds awful, but could it be true. 

What are you even talking about here? You were born straight and later discovered that fact. I'm ok with that. Maybe there is even genetic proof that shows you are more inclined to be attracted to the opposite sex. Could the same be true for child molesters? Could they be born with the natural tendency to be attracted to people much younger than themselves. Could there even be genetic proof that they are naturally attracted to children.

What does this have to do with anything?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 09:29:59 AM »
Even if being a child molester may have genetic tendencies, there is a HUGE difference in equating having consensual sex with an adult of the same sex and molesting/raping children who are unable to legally consent.

And for the record, having sex with someone of the opposite sex doesn't tend to turn more people into homosexuals, unlike child molestation.  I'd bet most people who "experiment" with same-sex partners are either really just experimenting/messing around OR are already gay/bi before they have sex with them.   One the other hand, children who are sexually abused are often shown to be more prone to turn into abusers themselves.

So please find a new analogy to demonstrate your bigotry.

clee750

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 03:03:13 PM »
Speaking of abuse, why is it that children who are abused are much more likely to be homosexual. Deviant behavior breeds more deviant behavior.

Guinness

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 03:34:10 PM »
Speaking of abuse, why is it that children who are abused are much more likely to be homosexual. Deviant behavior breeds more deviant behavior.

Cite your sources. This is absolutley false. What does happen to be fact, however, is that 95% of child molesters identify as heterosexual. But I don't run around calling straight people child molesters.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 05:25:46 PM »

Cite your sources. This is absolutley false. What does happen to be fact, however, is that 95% of child molesters identify as heterosexual. But I don't run around calling straight people child molesters.

You know what's gay? Opening a new lawschooldiscussion user account just so you can post about being "outraged" that someone would you the word "gay" in a way that you find offensive. That's not just gay, but that's hella gay.

XxGodJrxX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 10:26:20 PM »
This whole post has turned really gay...and queer. 

Gay does not necessarily equal Homosexual

If somebody was to say, "I am gay".  Then it is a homosexual thing
If somebody was to say "This post that Guinness wrote is gay", it is NOT a homosexual thing.

If somebody calls Shaft a "Badass M-Fer", it does not literally mean that he has intercourse with his mother. 

Uptight people that have a problem with how everybody speaks need to lighten up.  Perhaps you should take your moral crusade to a church or something (not that they would care either).

Guinness

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 02:46:45 PM »
It's not a matter of intent. It's a matter of what you perpetuate by connoting gay with a negative adjective.  The word "Gay" does not mean stupid/annoying/ etc. That is not the definition of the word nor has it ever been the definition of the word. So why do you continue to use it? It makes no sense to use gay as synonymous with any of those words. It's simply not what "gay" means. The only reason you choose to continue to do so is because you want to perpetuate negativity and bigotry.

Guinness

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 02:59:35 PM »
If every time you went to write "that's so gay" ...you substituted instead "that's so african american" and everyone followed your lead and gave "African American" a double meaning with a negative word would that be ok?

And if it was so universally accepted that writing a post like the one below, didn't seem the slightest bit problematic, would that be ok as well? This is just another form of bigotry.

By xxgodjrxx's Standards:

"African American does not necessarily mean black. If you say I'm African American, then it's a racial thing. If you say the post____ wrote is so African-American, that is NOT a race thing...it's about being stupid/annnoying etc."