Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: taking transfer questions  (Read 11198 times)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: taking transfer questions
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 12:44:30 AM »
i think i said this before, but there is a ton of hot asssss on campus- from law school to med school to undergrad sorority slutttz.  maybe i might stay after all...unlucky for me i found myself in a relationship the first week i was here.  oops. 

what city are you in?

hedrick1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 10:31:13 PM »
Any idea what it would take to go from T-25 to Georgetown? UChi? Penn?

Going from T25 to Georgetown is fairly easy. Top 1/3 should give you a solid shot.

On the other hand, I would say you need around top 10-15% to transfer to UChi or Penn.

Mina

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 03:48:39 AM »
Hey I'm at BLS, what do I need to get to transfer to NYU or Fordham? -- & is transfer possible 2nd year? if so, will it have positive effect or be useless?

rollingthedice

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 05:46:00 AM »
I am at a T30 right now.  Getting a significant scholarship without qualifications, I would want to transfer, but only if I got a T6 school, you know, something truly elite.  As far as this semester I got a CALI and I am positive I am top 10% (got grades back, just waiting on gpa cutoff) and possibly 5% (although I feel that is unlikely) were I able to maintain this through next semester what would my chances be at HCCN??  (the other two don't even seem worth trying for, basically seem impossible to transfer too)... background:  My LSAT is not incredible, but would have got me into alot of the T14 if not for my horrid horrid horrid UGPA.  How big of a factor is a horrible UGPA if you are doing very well your 1st year of LS?

Reasons for transferring.. I would LOVE to teach some day, don't feel like this school will offer me that option.  I want the best name I can get on my education bio that follows me for the rest of my career.  The money, while significant, (probably would be +50-70K debt...counting both years of course) I feel pales in comparisons to the career prospects.

Any thoughts?  Much appreciated

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 10:53:27 AM »
well, you are right, your school wont offer many opportunities to teach, which sucks terribly.

My advice, if your grades are that good, consider applying to g-town now, they admit after first semester grades come out.  I know its not one on your list, but its a great school.

I had a friend or two transfer from T25 to yale and they didnt have the grades to get into anywhere but the t25 when they initially applied.  Other friends went to NYU with 3.7's (had some soft factors).  My advice is to apply to any school you would consider transferring to and see how the chips fall.  Its not much money anyway to apply.  Good luck and congrats on the great grades so far.  Be warned though, there is often a shift in grades second semester regardless of how much effort you put in that semester.  Several friends and I experienced drops in grades despite increasing study time, etc. 

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 04:05:59 PM »
Teaching is mainly dependent on post graduate judicial clerkships (usually federal). An elite school alone won't cut it. And of course you'll have to maintain your high grades all 3 years. Without a judicial clerkship, it will be hard to teach in today's market or the future law teaching job market.

For what it's worth, I think you should apply to any and all of the top 15 schools that will accept your application, assuming you can afford it. Even though you think it's T6 or nothing now, your view may change later. Best to leave the option open just in case. So apply everywhere you can.

And definitely apply to Gtown EA Transfer no matter what.

I am at a T30 right now.  Getting a significant scholarship without qualifications, I would want to transfer, but only if I got a T6 school, you know, something truly elite.  As far as this semester I got a CALI and I am positive I am top 10% (got grades back, just waiting on gpa cutoff) and possibly 5% (although I feel that is unlikely) were I able to maintain this through next semester what would my chances be at HCCN??  (the other two don't even seem worth trying for, basically seem impossible to transfer too)... background:  My LSAT is not incredible, but would have got me into alot of the T14 if not for my horrid horrid horrid UGPA.  How big of a factor is a horrible UGPA if you are doing very well your 1st year of LS?

Reasons for transferring.. I would LOVE to teach some day, don't feel like this school will offer me that option.  I want the best name I can get on my education bio that follows me for the rest of my career.  The money, while significant, (probably would be +50-70K debt...counting both years of course) I feel pales in comparisons to the career prospects.

Any thoughts?  Much appreciated

watso059

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 04:08:58 PM »
i took the tier 4 for the money, but now im thinking it mite not be worth it.  basically, i want to be i na better area with a better reputation behind me.  not to say the kids here don't do well- i know 2 grads who are doing very well.  but id like to get into a more centralized location, warmer, etc.  just an idea.  not sure this small town bs is for me. also, is every law school like high school?  i dont mean high school as in the hot sexy cheerleaders and what not- i mean the gossip immaturity, etc etc...

I did the exact same thing. I got into a few T2s but took the T4 for the money. I think I will be in top 20 to 30%. I am attending Jones (Faulkner). How hard do you think it would be to get into Alabama. I got my undergrad degree from UA, but I do not know if it will help me or not. It's not that I do not like Jones, but I would enjoy AL better. Also, the 2.5 curve is quite terrible. I am above a 3.0, which I am extremely happy about. Quite a few of my classmates are on probation and 2 dropped out already. Anyways...any opinions would be appreciated.
Yay (In): Samford, Stetson, Mercer, Miami, LSU$, South Texas$$, Jones$$, Barry$$, Cooley$$$
Boo (Dings): Tulane, UGA

Considering: Jones$, Cumberland, Mercer
Withdrawn: Barry, STCL, Cooley, LSU, FL Coastal, Miami, Stetson

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=watso059

rollingthedice

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 04:19:58 PM »
Teaching is mainly dependent on post graduate judicial clerkships (usually federal). An elite school alone won't cut it. And of course you'll have to maintain your high grades all 3 years. Without a judicial clerkship, it will be hard to teach in today's market or the future law teaching job market.

For what it's worth, I think you should apply to any and all of the top 15 schools that will accept your application, assuming you can afford it. Even though you think it's T6 or nothing now, your view may change later. Best to leave the option open just in case. So apply everywhere you can.

And definitely apply to Gtown EA Transfer no matter what.

Thanks for the input.  Why Gtown though?  On the thought that if my grades slip second semester I could still leverage the grades I have now to move up to a better school?  I should take a closer look at it all, but as of right now I don't think the piles and piles of extra money I would have to spend would be justified by GT's post graduation job options.  What it comes down to me is weighing the huge increase in costs... I anticipate all my loans to be around 90-100K after graduation, and that is assuming I just blow all the money I would get from SA positions, which I don't plan to do.  If I moved to GT or any other school the loan amount would likely be 170K after graduation, which is quite an increase, I suppose I am just concerned that if I am going to spend that extra money then I get extra options that are worth it.  I don't know that the bottom of the T14 would do that.  I do appreciate everyones input however, and that is a very valid point about how in order to teach you must have great grades all the way through and get an excellent clerkship.

Another question, do schools ever give students extra scholarship money to retain them and convince them not to transfer?  Possible to leverage a successful transfer app to GT or somewhere else in order to get additional money?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 04:38:39 PM »
I havent heard of schools giving extra scholarship money.  I wouldnt imagine that they would be cause the advantage of having you at their school no longer exists.  Scholarships appear to mainly be used as devices to increase Usnews rankings and besides bar passage rates, you provide the school with very little benefit beyond your lsat/gpa.

Anyway, the reason for g-town is two fold: 1) your grades might slip before second semester in which case it would possibly be the best school you could get into.  2) you will at least have some assurance that you will be able to transfer.  Most acceptances arent till the end of summer, so there is definitely an advantage to knowing you at least have some option.  Now, I hate g-town with a passion, but it provides decent options for clerkships regardless.

I understand that it isnt as cost affective, which is certainly a big thing to consider, but hell, its 60 bucks maybe seventy to do it.  And, you wont have any regrets. 

I decided not to transfer at first because i thought Id have similar options at my school if i got onto law review, etc.  anyway, by the time i found out i didnt make a journal, i had missed the deadline to transfer.  my point is basically that it pays to keep your options open. 

rollingthedice

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2008, 05:39:25 PM »
I havent heard of schools giving extra scholarship money.  I wouldnt imagine that they would be cause the advantage of having you at their school no longer exists.  Scholarships appear to mainly be used as devices to increase Usnews rankings and besides bar passage rates, you provide the school with very little benefit beyond your lsat/gpa.

This is kind of what I thought, I could see them giving a bit of money because the # of people who transfer out of their school shows up on ABA data at least ( I don't know if USNEWS calculates with this or not) but yeah I agree, it is unlikely.

Anyway, the reason for g-town is two fold: 1) your grades might slip before second semester in which case it would possibly be the best school you could get into.  2) you will at least have some assurance that you will be able to transfer.  Most acceptances arent till the end of summer, so there is definitely an advantage to knowing you at least have some option.  Now, I hate g-town with a passion, but it provides decent options for clerkships regardless.

I understand that it isnt as cost affective, which is certainly a big thing to consider, but hell, its 60 bucks maybe seventy to do it.  And, you wont have any regrets. 

I decided not to transfer at first because i thought Id have similar options at my school if i got onto law review, etc.  anyway, by the time i found out i didnt make a journal, i had missed the deadline to transfer.  my point is basically that it pays to keep your options open. 

I don't think I would head to GULC even if I was admitted, that is why I am reluctant to spend the time and effort to do a transfer app... But your argument about how the money is a relative drop in the bucket and the options can become more valuable down the line is very convincing... I will need to give this some more thought.