Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When You DON'T Do Your Reading  (Read 18821 times)

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: When You DON'T Do Your Reading
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 10:07:59 PM »
What about surgery? I had rotator cuff repair yesterday and I didn't get a chance to do the reading for tonight's Torts class. Should I skip the class and enjoy the groovy pain meds instead or should I go unprepared and save the pain meds for after my last final in December? ;)
Rob

Go to class and find out who you can sue.

Go to class, but on your way you slip and fall breaking your leg.  Insurance doesn't pay since they say you were not following doctors orders to stay at home.  Sue the professor and the law school for not stressing that you should not attend class in reasonable circumstances but instead having fostered an unstated high pressure enviornment that rewards risky behavior such as yours.  retire.  Become addicted to steady source of pain meds.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 02:56:21 PM »
I stay home and write St. Martin's press, asking them not to publish Lawyer Boy.

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 04:25:17 PM »
What about surgery? I had rotator cuff repair yesterday and I didn't get a chance to do the reading for tonight's Torts class. Should I skip the class and enjoy the groovy pain meds instead or should I go unprepared and save the pain meds for after my last final in December? ;)
Rob

Go to class and find out who you can sue.

Okay...of the people who replied to this post, I pick you as my lawyer.

-LawSchoolBlogger.com

Go to class, but on your way you slip and fall breaking your leg.  Insurance doesn't pay since they say you were not following doctors orders to stay at home.  Sue the professor and the law school for not stressing that you should not attend class in reasonable circumstances but instead having fostered an unstated high pressure enviornment that rewards risky behavior such as yours.  retire.  Become addicted to steady source of pain meds.

patmycan

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 07:54:21 PM »
I took a law survey class during my undergrad, which was taught by actual law professors from our school. They informed us that their policy is to leave a note on the professors podium/desk before class informing them that you were unprepared.

Signed and dated, this would give you a freebie at least twice.

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 08:23:54 PM »
Completely didn't do the reading for Contracts/Property Thursday since my Appellate Brief (the big one) is due this weekend. Get to class, and guess who gets called on in both classes...Me, actually I got called on twice in Contracts.

It was OK though, because I am not an idiot and just had to take a quick look at my already book-briefed book for the cases in Contracts/Property (which was lucky, because while the used book has a good amount of cases book-briefed by some beautiful, considerate person I do not know, half of them have no notes at all). Nailed pretty much all the questions I got asked, and even was able to help the person next to me who was asked more about the rule in one of the cases.

Then...can't remember which class, but the teacher asked a pretty simple yes/no question, based on something he had actually just explained...and the person didn't even attempt to answer, just went, PASS, the teacher was fairly annoyed. I think it may have been the prof that doesn't even have a policy for allowing a certain # of passes.

Learn to give an answer even if you didn't do the reading, it can help a lot, I got a heavy bump up in one of my classes between my finals grade and the grade that I actually got, and I think it had a large part to do with at least making a good attempt to answer the prof's questions.

broken

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 10:30:01 PM »
I make a solid effort at participation, so I hardly ever get cold-called on. And if I do and I give a flake answer, I don't think the prof minds as much b/c they know I'm usually prepared.

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 07:14:13 PM »
I make a solid effort at participation, so I hardly ever get cold-called on. And if I do and I give a flake answer, I don't think the prof minds as much b/c they know I'm usually prepared.

That's a good strategy.  On a similar note, I usually try to volunteer during my first classes.  I mean, you always remember the guy who raises his hand on day one.  So then, when I give a flake answer, it's like, well, he did volunteer that first class...

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 02:20:45 PM »
P.S., my new website is RickLax

Drew P. Bottom

• Sr. Citizen
  • You do not understand the power of the dark side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 12:58:00 AM »

Oh. I wasn't sure.
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -- James Madison

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 02:39:24 AM »

Oh. I wasn't sure.

Truth. If only someone would post the site more often so we would know...
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.