Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Practice Areas  (Read 2302 times)

worried

• View Profile
Practice Areas
« on: October 25, 2007, 12:21:00 AM »
Anyone have any idea what the stereotypical most difficult and easy practices are in a large law firm?  Which practices will bring in the highest pay?  Which offer the most job security?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Practice Areas
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 07:18:18 AM »
How "difficult" the practice is will depend entirely on the firm's clients, the type of work they bring in, and how much work there is.  I don't know that there's a stereotypical hardest or easiest.

As for pay, this will probably vary widely depending on the firm.  Everyone is going to get the same base pay if you're the same year.  However, you're more likely to make and/or exceed your minimum billable requirement if you're in a busy practice group, leading to a larger bonus (assuming that the firm's bonus structure gives varying bonuses for how many hours, instead of everyone who meets the minimum getting the same bonus and that's it)

As for job security, I think the same would apply.  If you're in a busy practice group, the work will be there for you to do.  If it's slow, and/or your work is crappy, they may let you go (although it can be hard to get fired, from what I hear, and firms usually only do it if things get really bad economically (which happened after the dot.com bust) or if you do really, really crappy work.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Practice Areas
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 02:29:11 PM »
There's not really goingt to be an easiest across the board.  However, most types of simple transactional work will probably work the least amount of hours/$ (eg, estate planning, tax, real estate)