Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In House Counsel v. Small/Medium Firm  (Read 3768 times)

DH52

• View Profile
In House Counsel v. Small/Medium Firm
« on: October 24, 2007, 10:38:47 PM »
Crapped out in 2L OCI.  Which would put me in better position to try for big/semi-big law in 3L OCI?  Internship for in house counsel at fortune 500 company or SA at small/medium sized firm?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: In House Counsel v. Small/Medium Firm
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 11:17:33 PM »
My advice would be to go for the mid size if you can.  I dont know what will give you the best shot in OCI, but I have friends that did in house jobs there first summer, and the places didnt do offers.  So, if 3L OCI falls through, you are going to want to have something to fall back on, and the mid size firm is going to be more likely to wanna keep you around.

Firms are still giving out interviews and stuff, so dont give up yet on big law this year.

wdb09

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 12:23:17 AM »
My advice would be to go for the mid size if you can.  I dont know what will give you the best shot in OCI, but I have friends that did in house jobs there first summer, and the places didnt do offers.  So, if 3L OCI falls through, you are going to want to have something to fall back on, and the mid size firm is going to be more likely to wanna keep you around.

Firms are still giving out interviews and stuff, so dont give up yet on big law this year.

"Big law" firms are still giving out interviews?

GA-fan

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 08:17:08 AM »
I got calls from some big firms earlier in the week for interviews (in Atlanta and Charlotte, but still). Some of them are still trying to fill their clases. I would suggest one last mail merge. Blitz every city you could see yourself working in-no need to be picky here- and see what you get. I'd expect a 3-5% return rate, but hey, it's better than nothing.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 09:35:15 AM »
a buddy just got an interview from a firm in DC earlier this week.

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 10:24:31 AM »
My impression is that very few (larger) companies groom in-house counsel from the ground up.  The generally just don't have the legal resources to do so.  Usually, they'll poach associates from the firms that they hire out to do lots of their legal work after working with certain associates for a while.  In biglaw interviews I tended to ask where the firm loses associates to, and a common answer was that they lose them to in-house positions with their clients.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 06:06:03 PM »
what did you decide to do?

DH52

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 06:33:32 PM »
I still have a little time to decide, but I'm leaning towards the in-house option.  (It's actually Fortune 100--not that it makes big difference.)  The main thing is that I'm really not interested in the small-medium firm, and I can just as easily get the same type of offer again next year from similar place.  I know that the GC does not hire straight from law school (thank you all for assuming I know nothing...).  What I am really most concerned with is what looks best on my resume for 3L OCI, i.e. the prestige of Fortune 100 versus the practical experience of a law firm.   

Also, thanks to those who suggested big law in small markets, but I am unfortunately tied to the city where I live now.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 11:47:34 PM »
I still have a little time to decide, but I'm leaning towards the in-house option.  (It's actually Fortune 100--not that it makes big difference.)  The main thing is that I'm really not interested in the small-medium firm, and I can just as easily get the same type of offer again next year from similar place.  I know that the GC does not hire straight from law school (thank you all for assuming I know nothing...).  What I am really most concerned with is what looks best on my resume for 3L OCI, i.e. the prestige of Fortune 100 versus the practical experience of a law firm.   

Also, thanks to those who suggested big law in small markets, but I am unfortunately tied to the city where I live now.

If you're thinking you want to work in a firm after graduation, then the firm might be the way you want to go.  Hiring a 3L is much different than hiring a 2L Summer Associate.  An SA program is a trial run, w/ no real commitment to make an offer.  If a firm is looking to hire a 3L, then it's the real deal.  They want to be as sure as possible that you'll handle the firm life, etc.  I've heard that some firms like to see other firm positions on your resume, showing that you know how a firm works, and implicitly that you can handle doing the work they'll give you.   A firm may not be so sure that your experience in-house for the summer netted you the same kind of experience that they're ideally looking for.

I'm not saying that it's going to be a total resume killer; it might not matter at all, or it might help you.  I'm a 3L, not a recruiting coordinator.  It's just something else to consider though.

:|

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 03:52:38 PM »
I heard at my school about a guy who was in a job interview and opened a book and started reading. Then he said to the guy, "Let me ask you a question. If you are in a spaceship that is traveling at the speed of light, and you turn on the headlights, does anything happen?" He said, "I don't know." The guy said, "I don't want your job."
When I get bored I go to a 7-11 and ask for a 2-by-4 and a box of 3-by-5.