Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: pre-law looking to hear from current law students who got into GULC  (Read 1154 times)

lauralaw

• View Profile
    • Email
hi all -

did anyone here get into georgetown when they were in the low 25% or otherwise didn't have spectacular numbers?  perhaps you are a nontrad or wrote something cool in your ps?  i'm just wondering how the numbers/soft factors thing plays out. i figured someone over here might have a better reference than those of us waiting for responses from apps on the prelaw side.

thanks

votesanjaya

• View Profile
Re: pre-law looking to hear from current law students who got into GULC
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 07:02:32 PM »
I am not the person you're looking for (low numbers), and I don't intend to dampen your enthusiasm here, but GULC gets a ton of applications every year, and they are not one of the schools known for soft factor selectivity. Soft factors may help you if you apply to the evening program though.  Their GPA/LSAT are not as high, there are about 110 or so spots, so they get more selective when it comes to soft factors.

lauralaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 07:14:17 PM »
believe me ... i am in no way delusional about getting into gulc - i know it's a reach  ;D

i am hoping that i can get in part time, my numbers are much closer on that side.  i read a quote from one of their admissions staff that said they got more apps last cycle than any other school in the country.  hello competition! 

but i figure i might as well as try - the worst they can say is no and i'd be happy with just squeaking into the evening program!

thanks for your reply!

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 09:39:07 PM »
Part time tends to be more soft-factor centric as I understand.

If you are marginal, I suggest applying part time ONLY (Not for both)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Mr. Roe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 10:31:43 PM »
This is the best advice you will ever get, so take it or leave it:

DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL!!!

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 10:41:17 PM »

ditto

lauralaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 10:57:06 PM »
nealric - thanks for your reply.

roe and strong - thanks for being negative.  don't you know i just want validation for my low numbers?  gee whiz, guys.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 11:11:54 PM »

ditto

or g-town.  they smell bad over there.. jk

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 11:35:15 PM »

roe and strong - thanks for being negative.  don't you know i just want validation for my low numbers?  gee whiz, guys.

dude, chill out.  Not everyone is here to attack your numbers, whatever they are.  Many 2 and 3Ls, in addition to many, many attorneys, will give you the same advice, no matter what your numbers are, which is "don't go to law school."  Attorneys I worked with before law school had no idea of my numbers, and only generally knew where I was applying, and many of them told me the same thing.

climbingstars34

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 06:58:38 AM »
This is ridiculous.  Go to law school if you want to go to law school.  The people who tell you not to go are the people who were not mature enough to make an informed decision about what to do with their lives.  So they didn't try hard enough in their first year, ended up with less than stellar grades, and now want to blame it on "law school."  Give me a break.  We all must chose a career at one point or another, the law is just as good as anything else (if it is what you want to do), so be mature, make an informed decision, and then learn to live with it.  Oh, and if you don't like it, leave.  Life is too short for all of this negativity and self pity.   ;D