Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Unpaid 1L summer internship at corporate firm?  (Read 1514 times)

renegade, esq

• View Profile
Re: Unpaid 1L summer internship at corporate firm?
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 09:25:40 AM »
chances are your school has a moratorium until dec. 1 on the 1l job search regardless of whether you are applying to nalp firms or not.  you really should just ask career services to avoid any headaches.

shady2009

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 09:30:49 AM »
I was under the impression that the Dec. 1 rule was an ABA, not a NALP rule.  We weren't even allowed to talk to our career services office until the middle of November.

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 09:45:31 AM »
I'm at a lower T1 and pretty much all of my friends who tried hard got paid positions.  One guy in particular that I can think of was ranked in the top 40-50% of our class and got two paid SA positions - one of them paying $2600/wk (as a 1L).  I'm guessing he had connections there, but still - he got the job.  He had already accepted an unpaid externship early on and committed to 5 weeks there so that cost him $13k for those weeks he missed.  I made $26k over the summer doing the type of work I wanted to do.  Not trying to brag and not trying to say that everyone will get one, just saying that it is possible.  I guess it depends on the market.  My guess is that Miami places well in Miami.  I'm not familiar with the market, but I would assume its similar to how USD places very well in San Diego because it's the best school around.  If your friend in NJ is willing to take you on now, chances are almost certainly that he'll take you on in the Spring - again it's just my opinion but I would certainly wait around.  I was probably wrong about the NALP guidelines.  The text is as follows:

Prospective employers and first year law students should not initiate contact with one another and employers should not interview or make offers to first year students before December 1.

Not sure whether that includes un-paid or not.  Your safest bet is to just ask your CSO.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 10:18:14 AM »
I was under the impression that the Dec. 1 rule was an ABA, not a NALP rule.  We weren't even allowed to talk to our career services office until the middle of November.

YOur career services policy is a common one; we couldn't talk to ours until Nov. 1.  This is merely their policy, however, and I'd guess there are two reasons for this policy.  First, they are (hopefully) focused 100% on helping 2L and 3Ls right now - 2Ls because that is arguably the most important job opportunity for most, and 3Ls because their asses are pretty much on the line.  Second, most Career Services are geared toward the traditional/OCI/Firm type recruiting, and since a significant number of firms 1Ls will apply to follow NALP guidelines, they refuse to help 1Ls until the point where 1Ls can gear up for job apps.

On a side note, you can't APPLY to any NALP firms right now, but I believe you can still network and seek "informational interviews" if you're interested.

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 02:52:29 PM »
I was not aware of the policy stating that we can't talk to employers, I thought it was a school policy that we can't access career services before a certain date. But ignorance of the "law" is no legal excuse, so with that said, I have not actually personally talked to this man before, just my parents have. I guess I'll hold off until I am allowed to personally speak to employers so I can go by the book.    :)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 04:14:07 PM »
I was not aware of the policy stating that we can't talk to employers, I thought it was a school policy that we can't access career services before a certain date. But ignorance of the "law" is no legal excuse, so with that said, I have not actually personally talked to this man before, just my parents have. I guess I'll hold off until I am allowed to personally speak to employers so I can go by the book.    :)

I dont think the guidelines apply to parents, so you are okay :)