Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: how to lose a job offer after SA  (Read 2632 times)

Law Geek

• View Profile
how to lose a job offer after SA
« on: October 20, 2007, 08:32:15 PM »
so I got an offer for my #1 choice firm. now i'm freaking out about my summer. NALP shows me that the firm hired 4 SAs last year and made offers to only 3 ! so, my question is....how do you secure a job offer after you get a SA position? also, how do you lose it? of course there's the obvious answer (you goof off during the summer). but let's assume all SAs are competent, take their job seriously enough, get along well w/the other attorneys at the firm. what then??

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: how to lose a job offer after SA
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 10:34:30 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it too much.  You can lose the job by being a male private part to the support staff, or to your peers.  It's generally not a competency issue, but a personality issue.

sheezy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 08:14:09 PM »
so I got an offer for my #1 choice firm. now i'm freaking out about my summer. NALP shows me that the firm hired 4 SAs last year and made offers to only 3 ! so, my question is....how do you secure a job offer after you get a SA position? also, how do you lose it? of course there's the obvious answer (you goof off during the summer). but let's assume all SAs are competent, take their job seriously enough, get along well w/the other attorneys at the firm. what then??

i'm pretty sure if they seek to hire, say 3, and they bring in 4 summers, then they'll just pick the 3 they liked the best if all do the same quality of work.

sgtpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 08:30:27 PM »
What about 2L grades? I'm getting really paranoid about my offer too. I worked my ass off as a 1L and I'm definitely headed for a drop. Won't get anything below a B or anything, but I was top 10% last year and that ain't happening again.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 09:40:30 PM »
You're probably not headed for a drop. Your current paranoid thinking is what got you into the top 10% and probably will help you again this year. At least that's what I'm telling myself because I feel the same way. Regardless, I've had the same question regarding a drop in rank/GPA after an offer. From what I can tell, many, but not all, firms don't look at your grades after offering you the SA position. Supposedly, if you get the offer at the end of the summer, you could have fvcked off the rest of your 2L year and then continue to fvck off your 3L year and still be fine - but only with that firm. If you don't get the offer, then of course your 2L numbers will matter and, either way, future firms will consider your rank/GPA (although they consider it less and less as time passes.)

vaplaugh

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 09:56:24 PM »
Be sure you attend the social events.

yalecollege06

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 10:08:34 PM »
What about 2L grades? I'm getting really paranoid about my offer too. I worked my ass off as a 1L and I'm definitely headed for a drop. Won't get anything below a B or anything, but I was top 10% last year and that ain't happening again.

I got pretty much straight Bs last year, and even a B-, so I think I'm breathing a bit easier on this front. One rare occasion when it's good to have bad grades "on record"! ;)

sgtpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 10:18:36 PM »
I got pretty much straight Bs last year, and even a B-, so I think I'm breathing a bit easier on this front. One rare occasion when it's good to have bad grades "on record"! ;)

Heh. Lucky you. Such is the benefit of HLS.

If you don't get the offer, then of course your 2L numbers will matter and, either way, future firms will consider your rank/GPA (although they consider it less and less as time passes.)

Yeah. See this interests me as well. I wonder just how much grades matter after graduation. I realize they don't want to see a huge grade dropoff because this denotes being a slacker, but are lateral firms 2 years out really going to be counting the number of B+'s vs. A-'s you got?

I hate that my school so grade deflated. B curve. I wish I could just coast on B+s like everyone else and not worry about this anymore.

sheezy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 10:20:08 PM »

grades matter less and less the longer you're in it, from what i hear. grades matter a lot to get the job. matter even less to keep the job. and don't matter at all once you've got the job.

if i drop from say, top 10% to top 15%-20%, i doubt it'll make a difference. they care far more about my performance, and whether they like me as a person.

your grades tells them that you can probably do the work. if you can do the work during the summer, then what would your grades matter?

Be sure you attend the social events.

good advice. even if they're like, "we're doing this tonight, but if you can't make it, no big deal." uh, it is a big deal.

amoebalaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 10:57:29 PM »
Slightly off-topic, but from what I understand, grades do matter if you intend to apply for a clerkship. (and yes, I understand that's a big if for lots of people, but it seems like the folks in this thread might be the clerkship=applying type)

So although your job won't care too much about your transcript after the first year, it might not be time to completely blow off exams...although goodness knows I'd love to forget about them!