Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: summer associate offer in the wrong city?  (Read 944 times)

Gwar301

• View Profile
summer associate offer in the wrong city?
« on: October 19, 2007, 08:09:08 AM »
I was offered a SA position in Detroit, where I am originally from. However, I go to school in Chicago and at this point desire to practice there. The Detroit firm has a small Chicago office but does not run the SA program out of it.

I like the firm, so i am inclined to take it, however, is it bad form to work a summer in Detroit and then ask them if i can work in the Chicago office when i graduate? Should I ask if i can split this summer between the two offices?

GA-fan

Re: summer associate offer in the wrong city?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 08:22:25 AM »
If you actually want to try this, I strongly recommend that you talk to the firm before you accept their summer offer. This is pretty risky/rare, so you definitely don't want to assume that this opportunity would be available, especially for a small office of another firm. I konw a couple people who have tried to move offices where they have a permanent offer, and not a single one of them has pulled it off.

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 10:28:43 AM »
I agree, I think it's possible, but it's something that you probably want to hash out with the firm earlier rather than later.

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 12:14:25 AM »
Ditto - ask now!