Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Those who aced their 1L Exams  (Read 3621 times)

JG

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Those who aced their 1L Exams
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 06:32:17 PM »
The only person who can tell you whether you need to cite UCC sections or memorize language is your professor.  Ask!  Press him or her until you get a clear answer. 

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Those who aced their 1L Exams
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 12:02:26 AM »
-How did you approach the issues in the exam? Did your notes suffice or did you have to think outside the box ?

IMO you should have one outline summarizing your notes that contains everything you need to know on the exam.  I don't think you really need to think outside the box...depending on what that means...but you do need to understand your outline and/or notes and understand how to make arguments on the different sides of all the issues discussed in class.

-Regarding the outlines, did you actually get to use them during the exams, given the time limit?

It definitely depends on the class.  I'm assuming you are speaking only about classes where you are allowed to bring your outline in.  In my experience, for professors that have a large multiple choice section, I hardly used the outline  (maybe 15%)because they tended to be straightforward and I had most of it memorized from organizing my outline.  For professors w/ smaller multiple choice or T/F sections where they were trickier, I tended to use it more (maybe 50%?).  For essays, again it depends on the class but if it's just a straightforward issue spotter then it can really help to just go straight down your outline and type like a madman to get everything in that's relevant (of course not just getting the rule and the issue, but most importantly the analysis as well - and conclusion if the prof wants it).  In some classes though this would be less useful - you'd need to take some practice exams to find out - and also find out about how the prof. grades.

-Were study groups an effective way to prepare for the exam?

I found them pretty useful for taking practice exams (particularly in the beginning) to bounce ideas off of each other and find all the issues you missed.  Beyond that, I didn't use them and even in that narrow case I did use them I found them at times to be difficult as people wanted to spend a bunch of time debating stuff that wasn't all that relevant).

-If you were to do it allover again...what changes would you make in your study / exam preparation tactics

Stay on top of things more during the semester - but I think everyone always feels behind.  Having said that, don't burn yourself out early - you really shouldn't be studying all that hard at least until a month before exams.

-If you had a high LSAT score, did that score correlate to your performance in your first year?

I had a 170 and was top 10% at a lower T1.  I have a friend at my school who had a 156 and had almost the exact same grades as me (also top 10%).

Is it necessary to cite an actual section of the UCC?

Like someone else said, it completely depends on your professor - you should always ask all of your professors what matters on the exams.  My K prof gave zero points for UCC/Rest. sections, Case Names, and Conclusions (i.e. he only wanted issues, rules, and analysis).