Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2L Grades  (Read 3779 times)

zlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
2L Grades
« on: October 18, 2007, 12:07:51 PM »
I know this question has been asked before but I am wondering how much 2L grades matter in getting a permanent offer from SA position.  I attend a non-t14 school and was able to secure a Biglaw SA position for the summer, however, I assume I got that job because I am in the top 10%.  However, this year not only do I have classes, but also Law Review, Moot Court and I am working with a professor, thus I have a lot less time to spend on classes.  And a lot of my classmates don't have anything outside of class, and are gunning for better grades so they have a shot for 3L OCI.  So I am somewhat worried that my grades my drop somewhat this year, not out of laziness, but because I have a lot of time commitments that are not graded.  Assuming that firm has no problem with your work or personality over the summer, are firms that concerned with a drop in grades.

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 2L Grades
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 12:19:40 PM »
Some may have personal experiences to rebut this, but my impression from talking to employers and the employed alike is that if you have a SA position at most firms, the permanent offer is yours to lose, and that SA's lose offers by being jerks.  Your grades don't really have any relevance when compared to your work output during the summer and the way you interact with people during the summer.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 02:49:24 PM »
your school probably has a very favorable curb, so if you mess up this semester do to time, you will probably still get in the B range which definitely is not the range you were in to get the job, but B's never give off the vibe that you slacked during the semester.  That is my opinion/hope anyway... cause my grades will suck with moot court and all.

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 04:20:38 PM »
Your peers likely have just as many time commitments as you.  They weren't able to find employment the 1st week of OCI.  They are probably still searching for employment.  If not, they are taking a huge gamble that 3L will bring more opportunities.  The sad truth is that a lot of biglaw firms arent hiring as much next year.  (I heard this straight from a nyc biglaw hiring partner.)

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 05:28:05 PM »
I am a 3L and my firm never asked for my 2L grades.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 06:09:39 PM »

just to put it in context, big law? V100?

zlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 06:59:12 PM »

The firm's just outside the V100, but is biglaw for the particular city it is in (its in a secondary market).  I choose location/lifestyle over a V20 firm in a major market.  So I am extra parnoied of getting no-offered, because there is basically no chance of getting an offer as a 3L in this particular market. 

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 08:02:35 PM »

v10

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 09:46:58 PM »

v10

very cool... it helps to know when people are giving advice, cause i mean, some firms probably dont care... congrats on the v10 :) props.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 10:15:16 PM »

v10

very cool... it helps to know when people are giving advice, cause i mean, some firms probably dont care... congrats on the v10 :) props.

Yeah, reasonable question. Thanks on the congrats. I am not going to be more specific on a public forum but I can answer more specific questions by private message.