Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: False promises at Roger Williams  (Read 1608 times)

smf01l

• View Profile
False promises at Roger Williams
« on: October 17, 2007, 03:09:31 PM »
Yeah, I know.  I shouldn't have believed everything they told me.  But Roger Williams Law School told some whoppers when they said all students find jobs after they graduate.
If you are told this by the admissions office, don't believe it.  The 3Ls here are ready to burn the school down.  Graduates from previous years continue to come back to the school to rant about why they were lied to.  The school argues that they only sold us an opportunity.

(an opportunity to be a loser)

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: False promises at Roger Williams
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 03:48:16 PM »
you are a loser if you thought a school could promise you a job.

BeachBum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 03:56:05 PM »
They never claimed their graduates would find legal jobs.  McDonalds is always hiring.
3.7ish, 170+

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 04:15:02 PM »
The school sells you an education, nothing more.  Though it sounds (and probably is) elitist, the hazards of attending a non-1st-tier law school have been discussed ad nauseum.  I understand the teeth-gnashing, and I don't envy you at all.  However, if you didn't know what you were getting yourself into, you should have.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 01:59:00 AM »
The school sells you an education, nothing more.  Though it sounds (and probably is) elitist, the hazards of attending a non-1st-tier law school have been discussed ad nauseum.  I understand the teeth-gnashing, and I don't envy you at all.  However, if you didn't know what you were getting yourself into, you should have.

I would tend to broaden the "non-1st-tier school" to "school with a good reputation".  Granted, all 1st tier schools have sterling reputations.  But many schools have good reputations within their region and have perfectly fine job placement numbers. 

That being said, if you're looking outside the top tier for a school, you should do a lot of homework on how the legal community in your area views that school. 

caliman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 02:57:07 PM »
False promises just at Roger Williams? Try false promises at the majority of these schools.

Someone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 07:55:21 PM »
Caliman is correct. 

I am sure that you have seen this WSJ Law Blog article, but in case you haven't, check it out.

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB119040786780835602-lMyQjAxMDE3OTIwNDQyMDQ3Wj.html

Per the article, students from Seton Hall, Loyola of LA, Tulane, and Brooklyn all have difficulties securing employment after they graduate. 

It is what it is. 

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 11:02:08 PM »
False promises everywhere.  Even at tier 1 schools there are poeple in the top 20% who have trouble finding jobs.  I get the feeling it is very different from region to region based on where my offers came from.

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 08:59:03 AM »
I agree, I don't buy into the idea that you have to go to a T-1 school to get a job.  However, I do think that you need to go to a T-1 school if you want your degree to travel well.  I don't doubt that Philly is dominated by local schools, though I don't have any first-hand knowledge.  Likewise, Denver is dominated by DU and CU grads.  Here's the rub though: you can take a job from UVA out to colorado and get a job, and you can take a degree from stanford and get a job in Philly, but it's going to be tough to get a job in Philly on a DU degree, nor a Denver job on a Temple degree.

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 11:17:10 PM »
Where does personal responsibility come into play?  WHy didnt you do your own research on the school and the job prospects rather than simply believing a brochure or an admissions counselor?

People jump into things with false assumptions (ex: all lawyer's are rich, law school is always a good investment, my school will get me a job, etc) and then want to blame anyone and everyone else for not getting the outcome they wanted.

2L