Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rescinding an acceptance?  (Read 1423 times)

SuaSponte2009

• View Profile
Rescinding an acceptance?
« on: October 16, 2007, 09:56:25 PM »
I feel horrible. Today I mailed out an acceptance letter to my second choice. I just checked my email and my first choice wants to take myself and three other students to dinner. It was really a long shot and I almost didn’t even bother applying (resume collect) but now there is a chance. I wouldn’t dream of making any rash moves before my first choice is confirmed; but what is the proper way to let down my second choice.   

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Rescinding an acceptance?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 10:36:01 PM »
I feel horrible. Today I mailed out an acceptance letter to my second choice. I just checked my email and my first choice wants to take myself and three other students to dinner. It was really a long shot and I almost didn’t even bother applying (resume collect) but now there is a chance. I wouldn’t dream of making any rash moves before my first choice is confirmed; but what is the proper way to let down my second choice.   

I feel like it might be too late at this point. If its in the mail, its in the mail.  Talk to your CDO as well, but I feel like you are pretty much committed at this point.  However, you could alway try to arrange a split for the summer between the offices...

p0six

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 12:17:22 AM »
My opinion: don't do it.  The difference between your first and second choices aren't so great that it's worth ruining your reputation.  Most ESPECIALLY if they're in the same city, since word gets around.  Plus, if you do this it does reflect poorly on your school, so in a sense you're screwing over future generations.

Although you could try asking if they would like to split, I guess.  That's not technically reneging?  Still sounds shady though, who knows how they'd take and it if it reflects poorly on you at the firm, I would expect that would increase your chances of getting no-offered?  Who knows though.  I'm just talking out of my rear end.

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 08:57:52 AM »
Yeah, I think rescinding is a horrible option.  Good luck working a split.

Just goes to show that there's really nothing to gain by an early acceptance, and sometimes a lot to lose.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 10:57:43 AM »
The legal community is smaller than you think.  You accepted an offer, now stick with it.

GA-fan

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 11:38:52 AM »
Nothing much new to add from the previous posters, but DO NOT renege on the job you just accepted. There will be consequences which you're probably not going to want to face (reputation is an issue here). Just don't do it. Nothing good could come of this.

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 03:19:45 PM »
It's universally thought of as a bad idea.