Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Small & Mid-Size Firms  (Read 1388 times)

AverageGuyGoodGrades

• View Profile
Small & Mid-Size Firms
« on: October 16, 2007, 12:27:22 PM »
For those of us that are not going to BigLaw (whether by choice or not), when is the best time to start applying to small & mid-sized firms? I know many smaller firms do not determine their hiring needs until the spring, but is it better to go ahead and send resumes now so that they have them on file?

I am particulary interested in the Chicago market if anyone has any inside information.

rutherford

• View Profile
Re: Small & Mid-Size Firms
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 12:33:54 PM »
Define Mid-size.  Ther reason I ask is that some firms people consider "mid-size" are hiring now.

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 12:42:14 PM »
It depends on what you mean by small and mid, but I would think no matter the firm it wouldn't hurt to apply now but it could hurt to wait.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 01:02:01 PM »
It depends on what you mean by small and mid, but I would think no matter the firm it wouldn't hurt to apply now but it could hurt to wait.

Mid-Sized as in 250-500 or smaller?  B/c Biglaw is usually 750+, however, mid-sized is more relative.  I.E. those firms in the 500 range generally pay the same salaries as biglaw and recruit through OCI on the normal schedule.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 01:13:55 PM »
The definitions of "big", "mid-size" & "small" firms can be confusing because I think some "big" firms are in fact "mega" firms. With that clarification, I would say mid-size is around 25-50 and I would apply to those firms now. I think firms of that size, while they may not know how much work they're going to have this summer, normally do or don't have a policy of hiring summer associates rather than deciding each year winter or spring. If that doesn't pan out, I would then apply to small firms this winter (I'm assuming you would rather work in a mid-size as opposed to a small firm.)

chip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 01:20:59 PM »
I've been wondering this myself.  There's no way that it could hurt to apply now to a mid size firm (20-50), right?  I just wouldn't want my app to get misplaced until spring or something.  Also, is standard to send a writing sample or just  resume?
"Everybody knows where the booze is, the problem is nobody wants to cross Capone."

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 01:39:34 PM »
I would always error on the side of more information about yourself.  You want to stand out.  Write a stellar cover letter, then send a transcript, writing sample, and resume.  Make it a personal cover letter.

If you didn't land a big firm job at OCI (or even if you didn't try to) you want to stand out at this stage of the game.  Most small firms (50 attorneys is small) aren't going to have a lot of openings so make yourself stand out.