Law School Discussion

Hornbooks, Nutshells, Study Gudies for Torts

USC313

• View Profile
Hornbooks, Nutshells, Study Gudies for Torts
« on: October 14, 2007, 05:55:23 PM »
Can anyone recommend any supplement material for TORTS? I'm a 1L and my class spent most of September studying Intentional Torts. Since October we've been focusing on Negligence--which I think will take up nearly the rest of the semester. Any material that focuses on these areas specifically? Thanks.

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: Hornbooks, Nutshells, Study Gudies for Torts
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 08:44:20 PM »
Pretty much ANY torts supplement/guide is going to focus primarily on negligence and also on intentional torts.  That's pretty much what torts is.

Since people learn differently, try your law school library to see if they have any study guides and sit and flip through some.  If your library doesn't have them, head to the book store and just grab a few off the shelf to see which cater bast to your learning style.

USC313

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 12:47:09 AM »
Well, I wouldn't say that's "pretty much" what Torts is. There's also Wrongful Death, Nuisance, Products Liability, Defamation, Privacy and Civil Rights, among others. I created the post to see if anyone was aware of a well know/well respected or effective supplement--such as Glannon for Civ Pro.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 04:59:30 AM »
Let me rephrase then:  What you're asking about is pretty much what torts is FOR 1Ls.

While some 1L Torts classes and/or supplements may touch briefly upon wrongful death, products liability or privacy, I don't think any spend much time on it.  Products liability is expansive enough for its own course, and Constitutional torts (what you call "civil rights") is huge and complex, and something no 1L will ever get into very much.

Supplements and study aids are geared towards 1Ls, and 1Ls focus primarily on intentional torts, negligence and some damages.  There are LOTS of well known/well respected supplements, and you'll find people who prefer different ones.  I used the E&E, which wasn't the most fantastic supplement, but it got the job done.  Some people I know loved the outlines, and some went with the Nutshell series.

There really isn't anything like Glannon's Civ Pro for Torts.  Which is why I return to my original advice - take a 1/2 hour and flip through some; they'll pretty much cover all the same material (1L material), b/c what you like or think is effective could be totally different from what I or the next poster might recommend.

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 05:43:55 AM »
Let me rephrase then:  What you're asking about is pretty much what torts is FOR 1Ls.

While some 1L Torts classes and/or supplements may touch briefly upon wrongful death, products liability or privacy, I don't think any spend much time on it.  Products liability is expansive enough for its own course, and Constitutional torts (what you call "civil rights") is huge and complex, and something no 1L will ever get into very much.

Supplements and study aids are geared towards 1Ls, and 1Ls focus primarily on intentional torts, negligence and some damages.  There are LOTS of well known/well respected supplements, and you'll find people who prefer different ones.  I used the E&E, which wasn't the most fantastic supplement, but it got the job done.  Some people I know loved the outlines, and some went with the Nutshell series.

There really isn't anything like Glannon's Civ Pro for Torts.  Which is why I return to my original advice - take a 1/2 hour and flip through some; they'll pretty much cover all the same material (1L material), b/c what you like or think is effective could be totally different from what I or the next poster might recommend.

agreed.  flip through them; all of the commercial materials cover pretty much the same material.  If you are looking for a well known hornbook, Prosser's hornbook is probably the most well known, but Dobb's hornbook is very good as well (i think Dobb's also contributed to Prosser's). These are both very lengthy, but it might help you depending on your prof's teaching/policy etc...

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 12:16:15 PM »
i like the understanding series for torts published by lexis nexis...it's also awesome for crim law. It's technically a hornbook but it is very easy to read.

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 10:27:03 PM »
It's probably mentioned already, but for me (Im a 1L right now in Torts) a life-saver is "Understanding Torts" by Diamond, Levine, and Madden.  I believe LexisNexis puts this out.   It's great and breaks everything down to easy to read  element by element information.  Check it out.