Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L Interested in starting Law Libel show at my school  (Read 529 times)

Basic_Black

• View Profile
1L Interested in starting Law Libel show at my school
« on: October 14, 2007, 10:44:43 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I am interested in starting a 1L law libel show at my school (like the ones put on by UVA, UC-Davis, Fordham, etc.)  I still have to get a lot of people on board to make it happen, talk to the administration, but think that once I have a broad cross-section of 1 or 2 dozen 1Ls, we can make it happen.    If anyone has any experience in starting one, running one, etc., I'd love to hear from you.  In particular, I am interested in the following:

1.  Is your show put on by the whole law school, or just a single class (i.e., 1Ls or 3Ls)?

2.  Are faculty and admin members asked for approval?  ??? Are they invited?  If so, did they come and did they enjoy it?

3. For a simple production, did you incur a lot of production costs, or just a fair amount of preparation time?

4.    Do you charge admission?  If so, are you able to donate some of the proceeds to charity, public interest or book scholarships, etc?

5.  When do you think is the best time of year for such a show?  (I am thinking that sometime in the late spring might work for us.)

If you have any planning, budgeting, or other relevant docs about your school's law libel show, I'd love to hear from you as well.

Thank you!

PS- No, I am not overwhelmed with free time.  I just notice a lot of creativity among the student body (especially among my 1L classmates, as I know them better than I know most 2Ls and 3Ls), and think that such an event could be a great fundraiser, a lot of fun, and bring our student body closer together. :D  (Seriously, I am as cynical as the next law student, but really think this is a legitimate goal...)
Law is order, and good law is good order.

Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC), Politics

Basic_Black

• View Profile
Re: 1L Interested in starting Law Libel show at my school
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 04:37:46 PM »
(Whistles quietly to himself, taps foot)  No one has done this before?  Seriously?

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 12:17:56 AM »
Show put on by whoever joins the cast (like any other student org)
Whole Law school community invited, but no one's permission on faculty/admin is requested.  No making fun of individual students.
Production cost last year $1,500 (simple sets limited costumes)
No admission charged in past, but we are thinking about it this year
Best time of year late March or Early April

About 1/3 of our school attends, so this is a really fun event.

Hi Everyone,

I am interested in starting a 1L law libel show at my school (like the ones put on by UVA, UC-Davis, Fordham, etc.)  I still have to get a lot of people on board to make it happen, talk to the administration, but think that once I have a broad cross-section of 1 or 2 dozen 1Ls, we can make it happen.    If anyone has any experience in starting one, running one, etc., I'd love to hear from you.  In particular, I am interested in the following:

1.  Is your show put on by the whole law school, or just a single class (i.e., 1Ls or 3Ls)?

2.  Are faculty and admin members asked for approval?  ??? Are they invited?  If so, did they come and did they enjoy it?

3. For a simple production, did you incur a lot of production costs, or just a fair amount of preparation time?

4.    Do you charge admission?  If so, are you able to donate some of the proceeds to charity, public interest or book scholarships, etc?

5.  When do you think is the best time of year for such a show?  (I am thinking that sometime in the late spring might work for us.)

If you have any planning, budgeting, or other relevant docs about your school's law libel show, I'd love to hear from you as well.

Thank you!

PS- No, I am not overwhelmed with free time.  I just notice a lot of creativity among the student body (especially among my 1L classmates, as I know them better than I know most 2Ls and 3Ls), and think that such an event could be a great fundraiser, a lot of fun, and bring our student body closer together. :D  (Seriously, I am as cynical as the next law student, but really think this is a legitimate goal...)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 12:33:19 AM »
My school combines the Law Revue show with a bar night.  There is amazing attendance (500+ students).  They charge somewhere between 5 and 10 dollars and usually sell out.  After the show, everyone goes to a local bar where there is usually a tab set up for the students...  It is usually a good time.

Basic_Black

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 04:16:28 PM »
Thanks, much, you two!   You have reaffirmed my thinking on some of the basics, and given me a couple of new ideas. ;D

-Basic Black