Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Check the link, then pick one.

This is a dog and pony show staged by the USA government...
The Iraqi people, through their own government, will see this man to justice.  Lay off the X-files re-runs, you paranoid crank-sniffer...

Author Topic: Does anyone hate K as much as I do?  (Read 1146 times)

TenderloinTech

• View Profile
    • Email
Does anyone hate K as much as I do?
« on: October 12, 2007, 11:24:54 PM »
Common Law/UCC? Consideration? Promissory Estoppel? Fun?

Basic_Black

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone hate K as much as I do?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 10:51:32 AM »
The correct answer is legal research and writing.

Amen to that, brother.  I'd rather go back to undergrad and write history footnotes all day.  At least those were fun to write!
Law is order, and good law is good order.

Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC), Politics

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 11:36:49 AM »
At first, I didn't mind contracts at all ... but as the cases have gotten more and more engrained in what I call "business-y transactions" (as in, freaking complicated crap between corporations that I can barely understand to begin w/ b/c I was an English major and NOT into business at all), I am starting to hate it. 

It seems to make no sense whether the UCC or Common Law is used, either ... like, the courts can change their mind.  And, I like the professor, but he'll question the outcome of every case, which I know is good for seeing both sides, but it's frustrating to not be able to see what answer is at least "more" right.

I just think reading the cases for contracts is SO boring.  I have to sit down and FORCE myself to read through, and I've stopped briefing for that class b/c 1. Reading the cases 1 time through is painful enough, and 2. I get more out of taking notes on them in class.

Blah.

I can understand why everyone hates Lawyering (legal research and writing), b/c it's kind of boring and simple, but at least it doesn't hurt my brain. lol

My favorite is Torts ... loverly torts :)

LVP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 09:10:28 PM »
It seems to make no sense whether the UCC or Common Law is used, either ... like, the courts can change their mind. 
Not really.

Contracts for the sale of goods are governed by the UCC.  All other contracts (that you'll run into in Ks class, anyway) are governed by the common law.  Some older cases of contracts for the sale of goods are governed by common law because they were decided before that jurisdiction had adopted the UCC.

Also, the UCC only covers the stuff it covers - if there is an issue that isn't covered by the UCC, obviously the court would need to look to the common law to resolve it.
Pizza is the reward, death is the risk.

#

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 09:44:10 PM »
It seems to make no sense whether the UCC or Common Law is used, either ... like, the courts can change their mind. 
Not really.

Contracts for the sale of goods are governed by the UCC.  All other contracts (that you'll run into in Ks class, anyway) are governed by the common law.  Some older cases of contracts for the sale of goods are governed by common law because they were decided before that jurisdiction had adopted the UCC.

Also, the UCC only covers the stuff it covers - if there is an issue that isn't covered by the UCC, obviously the court would need to look to the common law to resolve it.

Well, maybe it's confusing to me since my professor just rambles on and on ... sometimes about completely irrelevent things.

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 11:32:22 PM »
I loved contracts.  It depends *a lot* on your professor though.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 05:27:09 PM »
I LOVE Contracts. I hate legal writing, or rather, I hate the way I am being taught legal writing.
Vanderbilt 2010

STLGirlAtHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 12:41:37 PM »
I love Contracts, but I have an amazing professor. Here's to you, James Gordley!