Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT necessarily indicative of 1L performance?  (Read 1628 times)

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
LSAT necessarily indicative of 1L performance?
« on: October 08, 2007, 11:22:56 AM »
I'm kinda sad because my LSAT fell below the median at my school by a few points. Does this necessarily mean I'll be in the bottom half of the class? I just hear and read a lot of stuff saying that the LSAT is a good indicator of 1L grades.

Someone make me feel better! I feel like I can't get out of that funk where all you do is think you're not law school material, everyone is smarter than you, etc.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT necessarily indicative of 1L performance?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
Absolutely not.  My lsat was at the median for my school, and I'm very near the top of my class.

The LSAT alone is not a very good predictor of grades; the LSAT/GPA combo is a much better predictor.  Even then, the predictions are just a rough guess, and by no means the be all end all.

drbuff123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 12:33:55 PM »
I was same, median LSAT, finished at top.  You will be fine.

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 01:21:21 PM »
my lsat was lower than bottom 25%, finished 1L top 15%.  i transferred to a school where my lsat score is about 15 points below the median.  :)

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 01:24:09 PM »
Thanks so much, guys! *hugs* :)

WhiteyEMSR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 01:38:41 PM »
LSAT 148--finised 1L 2nd in my class.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 02:56:51 PM »
If you were only a few points below the median, I would not worry about it at all.  You can finish at the very top or the very bottom depending on how hard you work but I would not assume that there is some GPA ceiling you will hit there.

I think the LSAT will be indicative of your law school success IF you got a low LSAT score due to a lack of studying and a poor work ethic that will continue in law school.  As a 2L i've noticed that the hardest working students finish at the top of the class while the lazier students (with some exceptions) finish at the bottom. 

Just work really hard your first year and you will be just fine.  Once you start law school nobody gives a flying rats ass about your LSAT. 
testing testing 1 2 3

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 06:05:35 PM »
No. LSAT is not determinative of your first year performance.

My LSAT was at the median for my 1L (tier 2) school. I wound up in the top 5-10% and transferred to a T14.

The number one student in my 1L class had an average LSAT below 150 and now goes to a higher ranked school than the one I transferred to.

If your classmates brag about their UGPA's and LSAT scores it's because they're insecure.

As far as hard work goes, I think it's necessary but far from sufficient. You can go through some of my old posts if you want for more on that as I'd rather not go into it here.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 06:42:15 PM »
According to LSN, my buddy and I had the lowest LSATS (2 points below the 25-75% range) of any non-URM's accepted to my school (Top 20).  Anyway, we both finished in the top 20% of our class (him a little higher then me).  I got a great job and he transferred to a top 5 school and got an even better job.

I think your work ethic in undergrad is more of an indicator then your lsat score.  Those that managed to do well with respect to GPAs while managing difficult majors, work, sports, etc are the ones that are doing well in law school with some exceptions obviously.

Do yourself a favor and dont sell yourself short because of your lsat though.  You may have a lower lsat but dont feel like a loser.  Your gpa is probably drastically higher then that of your classmates and there is a reason the school accepted you.  I personally was intimidated about my competition at first.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 10:00:34 PM »
My LSAT was between median and bottom 25% for my school.  Finished top 15%, transferred T4 to T1, ranked top 12% in class here.  I think the median LSAT here is 10 points higher than my first school.