Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Going to class as a 1L.  (Read 2749 times)

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
Going to class as a 1L.
« on: October 08, 2007, 03:07:54 AM »
overrated.  Thoughts?

Elaboration:  Why waste time listening to classmates work their way through the case when you already understand the material?  Why listen to other students ask questions only because they enjoy hearing themselves talk?  The most unproductive aspect of my life so far, at law school, has actually been going to class.  I'm going to experiment, this week, with not going to class.  Will keep you updated...I'm looking forward to a week full of productivity.  Of course I do know this conduct, if realized, will upset the administration.  It is time to think outside the box. 

McLovin

• View Profile
Re: Going to class as a 1L.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 04:08:46 AM »
overrated.  Thoughts?

Elaboration:  Why waste time listening to classmates work their way through the case when you already understand the material?  Why listen to other students ask questions only because they enjoy hearing themselves talk?  The most unproductive aspect of my life so far, at law school, has actually been going to class.  I'm going to experiment, this week, with not going to class.  Will keep you updated...I'm looking forward to a week full of productivity.  Of course I do know this conduct, if realized, will upset the administration.  It is time to think outside the box. 

Good Luck.  I would suggest using some supplements to help you understand the cases though.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 07:03:33 AM »
You go to class not to hear your classmates rattle on about irrelevant facts, but to catch those few gems of policy discussion where your professor discusses things NOT in the book.  You also go in the hope that he'll say something about the exam.

Yes, it can be a lot of wasted time, but that's life.

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 08:36:04 AM »
understanding the material does not necessarily mean that you are able to apply the material or thughtfully analyze the information.  while i agree that some of class time may not be necessary, I would guess that the average fresh 1L, only 5-6 weeks deep, does not have all of the necessary information to decide whether s/he can apply legal analysis to any given subject; this step takes a little time and practice. 

maybe you can, maybe you can't.  I would err on the side of caution and go to class.  ignore the student comments that you deem irrelevant, and try to answer the prof's questions in your head.  like a previous poster said, maybe you will find a gem or two.  if after the first semester you find out that you are a tue legal eagle that does not need class, then you can skip it.

just my thoughts as a 2l...

BeachBum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 01:04:56 PM »
Make sure absences do not affect your grade.  I've had professors who would automatically drop your grade half a letter for every four absences or drop you from the class if you missed too many classes. 
3.7ish, 170+

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 02:59:35 PM »
You go to class not to hear your classmates rattle on about irrelevant facts, but to catch those few gems of policy discussion where your professor discusses things NOT in the book.  You also go in the hope that he'll say something about the exam.

Yes, it can be a lot of wasted time, but that's life.

I would agree with this.  Even if the professor isn't explicit, you may be able to predict what may show up on the exam or better handle exam questions if you show up to class and listen to what the professor is focusing on.  I'm not sure how to best explain this but as a 1L I would strongly recommend that you go to class.  Your first year grades are really too important to jeopardize.
testing testing 1 2 3

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 04:47:39 PM »
Not sure how your professors handle it, but I am fairly sure that if you don't show up for like 80+ percent of classes, then according to the ABA they must disenroll you.  Might want to be mindful of that. 

Bumpersticker and Laptop (Attending): MSU '10
Bumpersticker (In): Pitt, Case($), MSU($$$$), Loyola, Cincinnatti($), Toledo ($$$$)
I'm sorry can you hold (WL): American
Dropped call (OUT): OSU

p0six

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 06:26:33 PM »
What do you have better to do?  If you're a full time law student, your job is go to class and do your reading...

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 06:28:13 PM »
What do you have better to do?  If you're a full time law student, your job is go to class and do your reading...

Exactly ... but I barely ever skipped class as an undergrad, so I'm used to just going to every class b/c you're supposed to.  And that was while working and being super involved on campus ... there really isn't any excuse not to go to class as a 1L (unless you're sick or have a good excuse, I suppose)

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 09:00:25 PM »
wow.. quite the precocious 1L .. i didn't start cutting class until midway through 2nd sem 1L year...

kudos to you my friend