Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seating Chart Penmanship  (Read 5702 times)

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
Seating Chart Penmanship
« on: October 07, 2007, 10:20:41 PM »
Here's what I figured out after 3 years of law school regarding seating chart penmanship: most professors employ do-it-yourself seating charts, and most professors call on each student only once per semester. If you want to be called on towards the beginning of the semester, write your name in large capital letters and use a felt-tip marker. If you want to be called on towards the end of the semester, write in cursive and use a dull pencil. If your last name is Smith, Jones, or Brown, youíll be called on during the first month of class no matter how illegibly you write. If your last name has four or more syllables, four or more consecutive consonants, an umlaut, or any sort of clicking sound, donít bother doing your reading until the last week of class because you wonít be called on until then. 

If anybody reading this has a complex last name and was called on during the first week of class, I want to hear about it.

-RickLax

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Seating Chart Penmanship
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 10:33:52 PM »
my school gives the seating charts to a secretary and has her type them up/attach pictures of the class.  :( 

eqmassa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 02:51:22 PM »
In my classes with seating charts, the professor passed around a blank chart and we all filled it in.  We were called on in a random kind of order, I don't think what you said would apply unless the professor had real pronunciation problems...

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 12:31:40 PM »
In my classes with seating charts, the professor passed around a blank chart and we all filled it in.  We were called on in a random kind of order, I don't think what you said would apply unless the professor had real pronunciation problems...

Maybe it only seems random to you...

james

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 12:48:56 AM »
I think where a person sits is more important.  In my experience if you sit in the front row you can take at least the first 4-6 weeks off.

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 03:24:08 AM »
I think where a person sits is more important.  In my experience if you sit in the front row you can take at least the first 4-6 weeks off.

Yeah, never thought about that...but I don't remember anybody from the front row being called on at the start of class.  Front row + messy handwriting = show up on the last day.

neon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 03:14:55 PM »
-)) yes, that is so true! my last name is 4 syllabus, and I sit in the front row. Haven't been called on for 6 weeks. And I also noticed that people in the front row are very rarely called on. Professors would use them as part of hypos, e.g. student&

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 03:36:55 PM »
-)) yes, that is so true! my last name is 4 syllabus, and I sit in the front row. Haven't been called on for 6 weeks. And I also noticed that people in the front row are very rarely called on. Professors would use them as part of hypos, e.g. student's name, but would rarely call on them.

Gunner :)~ jk

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 12:28:03 AM »
-)) yes, that is so true! my last name is 4 syllabus, and I sit in the front row. Haven't been called on for 6 weeks. And I also noticed that people in the front row are very rarely called on. Professors would use them as part of hypos, e.g. student's name, but would rarely call on them.

Those hypos are great.  They give the sense you're volunteering...with none of the risk.

watso059

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 02:09:57 AM »
This semester, each of my prof's chose names differently:

in Contracts our names were put in a box and pulled out "randomly," but most of us only got hit once

in property, our names were written on index cards and shuffled randomly- I got called on once, but one guy got it 4 times, while others got it 2 or 3...according to whose card came up after the shuffling

in Civ Pro, the prof assigned a number to all of us alphabetically and used a random number generator to assign us a date (unbeknownst to us) for the semester

in Torts, the prof simply looked at the list of names and called on a person randomly--some got it more than once...I never got it

I only missed about 1 day per class, so in the classes I did not get hit much (feels like battleship a little lol), it wasn't b/c I wasn't there
Yay (In): Samford, Stetson, Mercer, Miami, LSU$, South Texas$$, Jones$$, Barry$$, Cooley$$$
Boo (Dings): Tulane, UGA

Considering: Jones$, Cumberland, Mercer
Withdrawn: Barry, STCL, Cooley, LSU, FL Coastal, Miami, Stetson

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=watso059