Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Split Summers  (Read 960 times)

tartan_terp

• View Profile
Split Summers
« on: October 07, 2007, 05:00:46 PM »
Has anyone done a split summer during their 2L summer?  I have narrowed it down to two firms that I have offers from and I like both of them.  They are very similar in practice group, size, reputation.  One is in DC and the other is in Philadelphia.  I prefer the Philadelphia market and am leaning that way after graduation, but would like to experience the DC law environment (especially for I.P.).  Both firms offer split summers, but I'd like to know the pros/cons from people that have done this already (i.e. did they get offers from both firms after the summer, did they get a good feel from both/either firm in the abbreviated time at each firm, etc).

Thanks, in advance, for your help.
~This Guy

thirteen13

• View Profile
Re: Split Summers
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 05:45:59 PM »
I didn't but 2 in my firm's summer class did and both received offers at both firms.  The only downside is obvious - a typical summer program is (or should be) about both sides getting to know each other (as opposed to "work") and you'll have 1/2 as much time as everyone else to do this.  If it's a big firm with a big class and everyone has an offer to lose from the beginning, it doesn't matter, on the other hand, if there are 10 people in the office and 3 summer associates including yourself ...

tartan_terp

• View Profile
Re: Split Summers
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 10:39:12 AM »
thanks gcm1313, those are the same concerns/thoughts that I have about the split summer.  any comments from anyone that has personally done a split summer?

thanks.