Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepting an Offer  (Read 3987 times)

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Accepting an Offer
« on: October 07, 2007, 04:22:58 PM »
What is the procedure for formally accepting an offer with a firm?  E-mail to the partner that made the offer?  Telephone call followed by an e-mail?  I figured a phone call would be more personal, but wasn't sure if something should be in writing.

tartan_terp

• View Profile
Re: Accepting an Offer
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 04:55:57 PM »
First, congrats on the offer! 

Second, the general protocol is to call the hiring manager (or the partner that notified you of your offer) and formally accept.  If you do not get in direct touch with the hiring manager (i.e. get their voicemail), leave a message regarding the offer and call the HR manager to confirm your acceptance. 

Regardless of what method above you end up using, follow-up with an email to the hiring manager confirming your acceptance and CC: the HR manager.  That is just professional edicate.

Congrats again!

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 06:32:07 PM »
I indicated my intent during a phone conversation with the person in charge of the Summer Program.  I followed it up with an email.  I think a phone call is required. You're arguably accepting an offer for employment upon graduation too, so it wouldn't hurt to actually talk with those you'll be working with.

Congrats

csloan999

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 07:54:11 PM »
It's not about "edicate [sic]"--you have to accept in writing somehow (remember Contracts?).  They want a firm (no pun intended) acceptance.  This is also why they send you the offers in writing, in addition to over the phone.  You're entering an employment contract here.

So in other words, you accept in the same way that they make the offer: by calling and letting them know you accept, then mailing an acceptance (probably more formal by snail mail, not email).

wardwilliams

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 10:16:57 PM »
My offer was by email so that is how I accepted it.

amoebalaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 08:33:11 PM »
Just give 'em a call. This is the easiest part of the process.

I called recruiting to accept, had a brief chat with the person who picked up the phone, and 15 minutes later I had an email from the head of recruiting to confirm that I was all set and they would send me more info later.

Easy as that.

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 12:07:41 AM »
somebody needs to learn contract law. 

amoebalaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 08:55:29 AM »
I did have to BS my way through my contracts exam. :)

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 11:35:19 PM »
you have to accept in writing somehow (remember Contracts?).

Writing is not required in this case.  The contract won't take more than a year to perform.  Of course accepting in the same way you received the offer is acceptable (section 65), but so is any reasonable method (section 30), unless of course they specify a particular method (section 60).

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 12:15:53 AM »
Question: anyone been to a reception after they accepted.  I have one with a dinner and cocktail party thing.  Any general advice on what to expect would be appreciated.  I know the basics (dont get drunk, dont order the most expensive thing, dont hug the partner, etc.) but as far as what actually goes on at these things, I am kind of clueless. Ive done plenty of cocktail receptions, but no dinners especially none when I already had accepted and didnt need to know anything about the firm.  There will be unaccepted people there, which I am assuming is a big part of the reason behind it, I just dont know my role.

What is my role/goal (besides not messing up) in this thing?

thanks