Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: chatting in class  (Read 1261 times)

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
chatting in class
« on: October 05, 2007, 09:08:22 PM »

snow

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
Re: chatting in class
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 02:16:49 AM »
The damage you're creating is probably not in your notes or understanding.  Its more likely that your reputation is suffering because your constant chatting is causing a distraction to your fellow students. 

The worst is when people start whispering to each other about how they don't understand something and make it so that all the people around them can't hear the prof's explanation either. 

LVP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 02:34:26 PM »
Here's the math, as I see it:

(Won't help your grades + Might hurt your grades + has no other significant benefit) x (1L grades are very important) = don't chat in class
Pizza is the reward, death is the risk.

#

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 03:40:35 PM »
95% of my class talk online during class.  I haven't crossed that threshold, but i will lean over and make a comment to my neighbors every now and then.  as far as actually talking to others during class though, I grew out of that in high school.  true story.

reezy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 03:49:29 PM »
True or false, people record all the lectures anyway, and therefore are free to male private part around for the entire class?

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
True or false, people record all the lectures anyway, and therefore are free to male private part around for the entire class?

not allowed at my school.  oh noes

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 01:17:44 PM »
We only have 2 people who record lectures at my school, and only about half the professors allow it anyway.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 03:15:30 PM »
I have a bad habit of chatting with other people in class. We're midway through the semester. Do you think I've done a lot of damage by doing this, and could I do better if I just stopped? I'm going to try to restrain myself. There's only been a few times where I've got completely distracted from class; other times, I felt like I could still take good notes.
\
Sorry if this is a dumb question, school and the people in it are just turning me into a crazy person.

I think you know it is inappropriate or you wouldn't be asking. If you're IM'ing, disable your wireless during class or take notes by hand.

I can't imagine you are having actual oral conversations with people during class...? Surely a professor would have picked up on it by now.

Keep IM'ing if you want to. You may think it hasn't substantially distracted you, but how do you really know that? You have no feedback until those first semester grades come out.
Vanderbilt 2010

LVP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 08:43:21 AM »

False, or dumb if true. 
1. Why record a lecture, only to spend 1-3 hours listening to it later, just so you can chat now, when you could listen to the lecture now and chat later?
2. Listening to the lecture now lets you ask questions if you don't understand, which you can't do listening to a recorded lecture.
3. If you're dicking around in class because you're recording the lecture, you're going to be in trouble when you're cold-called.
4. Most professors (and I think some schools) do not allow you to record lectures.  I don't think any prof allows you to record without express permission, and if they ask you why, and you say it's so you can male private part around in class, you're not going to get permission.
Pizza is the reward, death is the risk.

#