Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Confused about stuff I heard...  (Read 1516 times)

lawgirl442

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Confused about stuff I heard...
« on: October 05, 2007, 01:10:45 PM »
So the whole time I was on this board while taking the LSAT and while applying to schools, I kept seeing warning posts saying things like "Just wait, naive little 0Ls, you're not going to be this excited about law school once you get there!" or "You'll want to kill yourself after a few weeks, trust me."  I kept waiting for these feelings to kick in, but they haven't (yet).  Maybe it's still too early to tell, but I *love* my school and my section is amazing. There's softball every week and kegs on the lawn every Thursday, and generally just a very relaxed atmosphere. Our professors (for the most part) are brilliant and genuinely interested in the learning process. We even had a midterm yesterday and no one was really freaking out that much.  Should I still be wary of the possibility that I'll want to hang myself later in the semester, or am I in the clear?
UVA '10

DO/JD

• View Profile
Re: Confused about stuff I heard...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 01:38:27 PM »
I am glad your experience is coming along good,

hopefully things won't get too hard

best wishes!

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 01:42:03 PM »
I think there is a big difference between those attending a T14, or even a T25 and the rest. T14 schools like UVA aren't a cakewalk, but many have said "the hardest part is getting in" because the bar for admission is so high. I think someone at a lower ranked school may feel differently about the course load, b/c the standards for admission are lower and some people may be flunked out (or a substantial number, the lower down the list of schools you go). Even those people still enjoy student life, I think, based on people I have spoken to.

That being said, I don't particularly like my law school, mostly due to its location and some of the administrative policies, but I like the work, people and overall atmosphere. There is an active social life, if you care to partake of it.

I think law school is like anything in life-- it is what you make of it, and it is only as enjoyable or miserable as you allow it to be.
Vanderbilt 2010

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 02:11:46 PM »
The problem isn't necessarily school itself.  The problem is burnout.  It doesn't necessarily happen to everyone, but it happens to most people I think.  Generally, in life, even if you LOVE an activity or job or whatever, if you don't get a break from it, sooner or later you'll burn out and just feel crappy about it.  Some feel worse about it than others.

Burn out for me happened sometime in the middle of finals during first semester of 1L.  It has in some ways continued on for the rest of my law school experience. I can't say I hate the law or I hate school, but I absolutely hate the reading and generally the work, if that makes sense.  2L year was the worst with journal, and now, as a 3L, it's more of a mild apathy and increased laziness.  Friends I had a UVA may have had a bit more fun with the partying, softball, etc., but from talking with them, they definitely feel the same sort of emotions toward class and the work.

If you never experience this, then hey, that's great.  But you're probably going to be in a small minority.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 03:29:33 PM »
I agree w/ the comments ... granted, I'm only a 1L, but my problem is that I went to an undergrad w/ quarters, rather than semesters ... so it just feels like the semester is going and going and going ... luckily we have our fall break in a week, so that should help to refresh me! :)

I don't think the work is too bad ... nobody is overly competative ... professors are nice.  It isn't the horror I had heard.  Granted, we haven't been graded on anything yet, but still ... I mean, finals are always stressful in ANY school environment!

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 07:08:40 PM »
Even if school never becomes insufferable, you will look back on this post a year from now and then you will understand that unbridled optimism about law school is silly.  Law school is largely a useless exercise and after you go out and actually get a job working as a law clerk and see how the law really works you will understand why all of the 2L and 3Ls are so critical and pessimistic.  There is a great disconnect between law school and practicing law.  Once you figure that out you will probably get the idea that you are throwing away your time and money in law school when you could be out learning how to actually be a lawyer. 

robsanpedro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 09:10:40 PM »
I guess the bottom line is if the law education you are getting is going to prepare you for passing the bar and practicing law.  I am in CA, so I am scared shirtless that I am going to waste 4 years and then not be able to pass the bar.
The LawThug Online Store
Apparel and more for Lawyers and Law Students

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 01:01:32 AM »
I wish I could say I was having the same experience.  Though, I have met a couple really cool and genunie people, my class is pretty much filled with idiots who like to hear themselves talk.  the end.

james

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 05:05:40 AM »
It's not the workload that inspired people to say, "You'll want to hang yourself" or whatever.  I know for me it's realizing that law school really isn't that difficult- and someone in a paralegal program is getting a better education regarding the actual practice of law- I was never interested in being a paralegal. Law school is necessary for admission to the bar. It doesn't deserve the prestige its given by many.  Even the dumbest people in your section will have a clue by the end of the first semester. Personally, I'm having trouble seeing myself years from now looking up some garbage issue on Westlaw/ Lexis.

james

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 05:10:10 AM »
Eh, I guess for some it is the workload but not me- its more about Do I want this to be my life's work?  Answer- Probably not.