Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm in! January 2008 at Marshall. Winter in Chicago was never so sweet!  (Read 14734 times)

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I'm in! January 2008 at Marshall. Winter in Chicago was never so sweet!
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 01:53:50 PM »
Hey, that's great.  Thank you SO MUCH for letting me know.   ::)
Quick question for you and the rest who think I solicited for career advice -
Does it say anywhere in my post that I am even remotely interested in your opinions?
I fail to understand why a post celebrating admission would be met with people telling me not to attend my law school of choice, how to get a job in big law (which I am not interested in and did not indicate in anyway), and that the quality of education at the school I will be attending is sub-par.
Forgive me, but perhaps had I solicited for advice, yours would be met with more interest.  Instead, it is met with disgust and frustration.
If you guys are typical of prospective or current law school students, I truly hope to never have to run into you in real life as part of the fraternity of lawyers later in life.
But allow me to retort, I fully disagree with your statement and I'll tell you why.
Law school is EXACTLY what you make of it.  The level of teachers at Marshall is high enough so that I am not concerned over my legal education.  I've actually met some of them, and they are well educated and have loads of experience.  I know one of them pretty well, and her education is reflective of a top notch law school educator.  She graduated from Bradeis summa cum laude and graduated from Northwestern University law school.  She is a nationally recognized authority on real estate law.  She's no slouch.
Now, here is where my issue lies (you know, besides this starting as a celebratory thread intended to encourage a law school community for students entering JMLS in the winter of 08 and you and others turning this into a JMLS trashing thread):  If I work hard, absorb the material, and excel at my work, how am I at any disadvantage as a practicing attorney exactly?  What, my career is somehow limited because I didn't go to a T1 school?  Who cares?  If the only reason you are trying to become an attorney is the money, well....  I would postulate that you will never be successful and will find your life quite dissapointing.  I come from sales, something I have been doing for the last 3 years with a fortune 500 company in Chicago.  Top reps in my company earn in excess of $400,000 a year after being on the job for 4-5 years.  That's close to double what an attorney that isn't a partner earns.  There are far easier jobs out there that require far less effort, dedication and work to excel in.  Jobs where you can make far more money with far fewer hours of work.
I find it reprehensible that people who wish to become attorneys care only about the money, and display it by talking about big law.  I know people in big law.  They hate it.  Mostly because of people who went to law school just to get into big law.  Big law is not 'fun'.  It isn't the best job you can find out there.  For some, it can be the worst.  Back stabbing, corporate style, jackass attorneys at big law are interested in the money only and it is reflected in the way they have no problem stabbing other attorneys in the back and/or taking credit for younger lawyers hard work.
Big law isn't for everyone.  More lawyers burn out in big law in the first 5 years than in any other type of law practice.  You will work 80-90 hours a week, be forced to bilk clients by overbilling for work, and be subject to humiliating reviews.  And good luck getting into court - you know, that place where lawyers are SUPPOSED to do their work?  Not for you!  In the first 5 years, you would be lucky to second chair one case, spending most of your time doing research, preparing mind numbing documents, and interviewing clients.
Me?  I'll be practicing law.  Trying cases.  Working in courtrooms.
So spare me the condescending big law speech.  You get paid well, but you don't deserve it, you wont be happy, and the hours and stress level are likely to age you 10 years for every 2 you work. 
I am going to school so I can help people.  I am going to law school because I am interested in the law.  I am going to law school so I can be part of a career that means something.  I'm not doing it for the money.  And I'm not worried about the reputation of my law school.
My brother is a practicing attorney.  Several times he's told me stories about attorneys from T1 schools who aren't good lawyers.  Their work is shoddy.  Their knowledge of procedure is terrible.  Their arguments are weak.  My point is that the school isn't as important as the effort one puts into their education.
Your point may be well taken for a 21 year old kid with no life experience, no connection to law, and no idea what they are in for.
I'm 32.  I researched my options carefully.  I know exactly what I'm in for.  I chose JMLS carefully.  I plan to take advantage of the opportunity.
So please.  If you want to dole out advice to people who are considering JMLS, save it for those who need the advice.
You are wasting your time with me.

The thing you fail to realize is that all law schools are not created equal.  Law school is not solely "what you make of it."  Rather, the quality of your classmates and professors will dictate much of the quality of your education, and quality of education should be paramount in your search, regardless of where or what you want to practice.
Justice is tangy....

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 02:02:05 PM »
Now that that's over with (I hope) ;)
Let's try and get positive about attending JMLS.
Any other folks who get in for winter 08, let's get excited!
It would be cool if we could meet up at the October student open house....
PM me if you are interested....
Justice is tangy....

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 02:50:45 PM »
I like the fact that you used "yahoo" in a sentence and not referring to the website. 

There is a lot of hostility and competitiveness even on LSD, but that is pretty much law students in general...

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 03:00:48 PM »
I like the fact that you used "yahoo" in a sentence and not referring to the website. 

There is a lot of hostility and competitiveness even on LSD, but that is pretty much law students in general...

I think it is sad that people on LSD feel the need to trash other, regardless of their competitive nature.
Personally, I'll never be the type of person who knocks other people when they get what they want.  What's right for me isn't necessarily right for others, so it's not up to me to judge anyone else based on that.
It's sort of ridiculous.
This forum could be excellent if people would try being supportive instead of trying to make themselves feel better by trashing other people.  It would be nice if this was more focused on positivity and helping others instead of being selfish and competitive.  Do we really need to compete with each other on a forum?
How absurd....
 ???
Justice is tangy....

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 03:37:20 PM »
Ignorance is bliss.

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007, 04:22:29 PM »

I think it is sad that people on LSD feel the need to trash other, regardless of their competitive nature.
Personally, I'll never be the type of person who knocks other people when they get what they want.  What's right for me isn't necessarily right for others, so it's not up to me to judge anyone else based on that.
It's sort of ridiculous.
This forum could be excellent if people would try being supportive instead of trying to make themselves feel better by trashing other people.  It would be nice if this was more focused on positivity and helping others instead of being selfish and competitive.  Do we really need to compete with each other on a forum?
How absurd....
 ???

No one on this thread is being competitive or trying to trash you.  I am pretty sure that every poster here is already in law school, and is trying to prepare you for some of the realities of law school and the legal world.  Like or it not, the reputation of your school matters.  You may be in the unique position of having family ties and a job lined up, but this is not the case for the VAST majority of law students.    

This forum isnt a support system... it is a forum to provide/receive information.  You came here - you solicited responses by posting.  Work on handling criticism without being so defensive. 
2L

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 06:19:57 PM »
Ignorance is bliss.

I'm not ignorant, but you are condescending.
Thanks.
Best of luck to you.
Take your advice and your ideas of who is ignorant and save it for someone who gives a crap about what you think....
Justice is tangy....

Beurre

• Sr. Citizen
  • coming soon,,
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2007, 06:35:51 PM »
I am soooooooooo happy for you!
You deserved it, and I hope you enjoy law school!!

Best of wishes

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 06:43:19 PM »
I am soooooooooo happy for you!
You deserved it, and I hope you enjoy law school!!

Best of wishes

Well thank you Beurre!
That's the spirit!
Justice is tangy....

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 07:28:47 PM »
Seriously, all of your ranting aside, you are a complete weirdo.