Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: gunner issues AGAIN -- this time with legal research?!  (Read 1331 times)

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
gunner issues AGAIN -- this time with legal research?!
« on: October 02, 2007, 09:03:15 PM »
so our legal research final is coming up.

people have actually bought study aids for this. i don't feel it's necessary, but now they have me doubting myself.

comfort? advice? :( i'm feeling really sad about school.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: gunner issues AGAIN -- this time with legal research?!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 10:11:43 PM »
Do what works for you and don't worry about everyone else.  Simple advice but if you take it to heart you will make your life much easier. 

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 10:18:19 PM »
Do what works for you and don't worry about everyone else.  Simple advice but if you take it to heart you will make your life much easier. 

I agree. But it's so difficult to put into practice when everyone around you is so crazy.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 07:23:34 AM »
Lord, I am about to buy a study aid. 90% of my classmates are extremely unhappy with our professor. We are half-way through the semester, and I can honestly tell you that my understanding of legal writing and research is about the same as it was before I walked into class on the first day.

Last week, I went to the professor during office hours and addressed my concerns. I just wanted to get a better feel for where he was coming from... He, unlike the other LRW profs at my school, takes the approach that this is not a LRW course; but rather, it is a Legal Analysis course. That's great, but I think some basic understanding of writing structure, research and citation might naturally come before that analysis part. The other LRW professors take this more practical approach.

I want to learn legal writing. His feedback on my first two assignments conflicted. I turned in a draft of a memo; he marked up some of it and I took the feedback into assignment number 2 for the final memo. I used the same language and analysis that he had approved and written "good job!" on-- and it was ripped to shreds in the final paper. I am not disputing constructive criticism or red ink-- those things make you a better writer. But I just don't understand why those issues weren't flagged in the earlier draft he critiqued. I plan to meet with him next week to discuss it, b/c I genuinely still don't understand where he is coming from, and I have him again for appellate advocacy next semester.

Thoughts? I honestly just want my money back and to repeat the course with another professor... but that's not likely to happen.
Vanderbilt 2010

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 11:27:50 AM »
heya 1L chica,

i had a similar experience 1L year. my section was full of gunners. these people read the cases, did the example problems, purchased the nutshells, highlighted the supplements, and took every single practice exam they could get their hands on. it was all very intimidating. the hours and hours that they put into material that was neither required nor recommended by the prof was staggering. needless to say, i did my best to ignore them (which admittedly was difficult, given that 1st sem of 1L year you really have no clue as to where you stand or as to what works on a law school exam). i read the cases and i went to lecture. i did not buy a single supplement. i only looked at the practice / old exams from the particular prof who was teaching the course. in some ways, my peers treated me as a second class citizen for my overall "lack" of effort...

..the moral of the story? i outperformed all of them in the grades dept. try not to get sucked up into the we-are-gunners-we-must-conquer-all vortex. stick to what the professor assigns / talks about in class. it is of absolutely no advantage to bring in extraneous outside information to your final exam. if anything, it probably hurts you..

(i.e. just ignore them - or, conversely, if you are the sadistic type (and you probably are, hence your presence in law schoool), mercilessly watch with pleasure as your starbucks-fueled type A classmates spends hundreds of hours digging their own graves...)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 01:38:45 PM »

Definitely point out the inconsistency.  Be civil and genuine, and really make it clear that you want to improve and incorporate his suggestions, but you're not sure what changed between draft 1 and draft 2.

And if he waffles, or just says something like "because I said so" I'd consider going ot the dean of students and just ask his/her advice.  It's a tough situation, and at the very least, the Dean of Students shoudl be aware of it.

I want to learn legal writing. His feedback on into assignment number 2 for the final memo. I used the same language and analysis that he had approved and written "good job!" on-- and it was ripped to shreds in the final paper. I am not disputing constructive criticism or red ink-- those things make you a better writer. But I just don't understand why those issues weren't flagged in the earlier draft he critiqued. I plan to meet with him next week to discuss it, b/c I genuinely still don't understand where he is coming from, and I have him again for appellate advocacy next semester.

Thoughts? I honestly just want my money back and to repeat the course with another professor... but that's not likely to happen.