Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: finally got an offer, now how long can i make them wait?  (Read 1031 times)

sheezy

• View Profile
finally got an offer, now how long can i make them wait?
« on: October 02, 2007, 06:11:41 PM »
i got a great offer, and i would be more than happy to work there, but i have a few other callbacks, namely cravath, that i'd like to see shake out before i make a final decision. problem is, it'll be about a month before i'm done with callbacks, and i know NALP requires them to give me until Dec 1 if i'm not mistaken, but i feel bad making them wait a month.

when i asked about time frame, they said that they follow the nalp guidelines, but obviously want to know ASAP...

what do you think?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: finally got an offer, now how long can i make them wait?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 06:17:03 PM »
You can wait until the NALP deadline.  The offer is already out there, and if you make them wait, then you make them wait.

SJ228

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 06:22:43 PM »
Is there a requirement about reaffirming interest after a certain number of days?

GA-fan

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 06:41:30 PM »
you have to reaffirm w/in 30 days and every 30 days thereafter.
If the reason you want to wait is because you scheduled other callbacks, this is a perfectly legit reason- don't worry about it. Firms (or at least those you would be willing to work at) should understand and shouldn't give you a hard time about it. On a side note, I had one firm give me a very hard time about not accepting when they first gave me an offer, and if anything it made my decision not to join the firm even better-justified.