Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reading Tort Cases worthless?  (Read 1241 times)

Steve Young

• View Profile
    • Email
Reading Tort Cases worthless?
« on: October 01, 2007, 06:04:23 PM »
1L hear.  I feel like reading the cases is very important in Contracts, Civ Pro, and Property,  but does anyone feel like you can do well taking good notes and just readin Emmanuel's for Torts?  The concepts are so easy,  I feel like I'm just skimming the cases because the ROL is so obvious.   

Just wanted to hear if others felt the same.

Mr. Roe

• View Profile
Re: Reading Tort Cases worthless?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 08:07:56 PM »
1L hear

I would quit law school if I were you, save yourself the money.  I see a career in waste management in your future.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 08:45:32 PM »
It might really depend on your professor.  My torts professor spent a lot of time on the cases and the fact patterns so carefully reading and understanding the cases helped a lot.  For example, one of the essay questions on my torts exam took the briney case (the case where two dudes shot the third guy) and changed the fact pattern around a bit.  With that exam, having a good grasp of the black letter law and a familiarity with the cases helped you a lot. 

If you were a 2L then you may be able to get away with just reading commercial outlines and taking good notes but as a 1L i'd strongly recommend that you put in time reading the cases.  Also, torts cases are some of the more fun cases you get to read so it shouldn't be as painful and irritating as other courses. 

testing testing 1 2 3

nocomply

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 11:49:03 AM »
1L hear.  I feel like reading the cases is very important in Contracts, Civ Pro, and Property,  but does anyone feel like you can do well taking good notes and just readin Emmanuel's for Torts?  The concepts are so easy,  I feel like I'm just skimming the cases because the ROL is so obvious.   

Just wanted to hear if others felt the same.

Don't be duped. Although the concepts and ROL are simple by themselves, it can get complex when applying the ROL to the facts in an analysis. Reading the actual cases will help in this respect.

DO/JD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 02:23:31 PM »
What is ROL?

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 11:02:57 PM »
testing testing 1 2 3

DO/JD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 11:08:44 PM »
What is ROL?

Rule of Law

Thanks AMBUDOM, I'll make sure to give you good points once I am allows to  :)

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 01:14:05 AM »
Well, i can honeslty say i enjoy some of these cases. Some are quite hilarious and others are just plain dumb. But i enjoy reading them. Our professor  goes over the cases in so much detail so it is really not hard to grasp. But the sad thing is, this is not the exam. Our professor wants us to name all the intentional torts with their elements. Then she will choose one for you to IRAC and you have to give her defintions from the cases of ex. Affirmative act, intent, harmful or offensive touching, and Causation. She wants it Verbatim also. then you have to apply it to the fact pattern she gives you. So going over cases in there is not really gonna help us to ace the final exam.

r10183

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 11:33:27 PM »
Read the cases for the sake of remembering the facts for the final. With elements and exceptions abounding, remembering the case(s) the prof will take the exam question from will help on the final. It's one less thing to cram during finals.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 01:14:19 PM »
Do you guys remember reading that case where the kid hits some electrical wire, gets electrocuted, and then falls to his death?  I don't remember what the hell the rule of law was in that case but oh man that was funny..

well not for the kid.  it sounds sorta like a twisted tort professor's crazyass hypo
testing testing 1 2 3