Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why You Shouldn't Join a Study Group  (Read 6556 times)

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
Why You Shouldn't Join a Study Group
« on: September 30, 2007, 11:38:42 PM »
Donít join oneónot if you want to get any studying done. Studying in groups is fun, but studying isnít supposed to be fun and it isnít supposed to be social. That studying in groups is so palatable should tell you something.

You know how you prefer the elliptical machine to the treadmill? Thats because itís easier and doesnít burn as many calories.

You know how you love having muffins for breakfast? Thatís because muffins are cake, not a legitimate breakfast food.

The reason studying in groups is fun is that itís not studying.

But what harm do study groups do? They eat up your time. Every hour you spend ďstudyingĒ in a study group (i.e., gossiping about your classmates and criticizing your professors) is an hour you could have spent actually studying the law.
Has anybody reading this actually gotten any work done in a study group? Has anybody learned a single thing except for how useless study groups are? I suspect not.

RickLax

Mr. Roe

• View Profile
Re: Why You Shouldn't Join a Study Group
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 11:48:28 PM »
nobody cares about your gay ass blog...quit spamming loser

Eva Destruction

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 08:55:12 AM »
I've found my study group to be very beneficial.

As a 1L, it's difficult for me to tell if I "get it", or to gauge how I'm doing relative to my classmates.  Discussing things, even the stuff you'd categorize as gossiping, is important.  It helps to know that I'm not alone in my experience. I could go on and on about how those discussions are important, especially in our first semester as we're figuring everything out.

Secondly, isn't discussion a critical part of what happens in the classroom? Being asked questions? Defending and explaining our answers? More than once I have found, through discussions with others, that I misunderstood something. Or found a flaw in my argument.  Those conversations have shaped the way I tackle my reading assignments as well as my legal writing papers.

Third, study groups can help keep you on schedule.  It would be tempting to fall behind in my reading- the exam is a few months away, and class participation doesn't count for much. So what's the big deal if I'm not 100% caught up on my reading?  With a study group that expects me to have read the material and be ready to discuss it in a small group, rather than a large class where I may or may not get called on, I am much less likely to let things slide. My hope is that at the end of the semester I can focus on reviewing material rather than trying to read it for the first time.

Fourth, I think that the relationships you develop with your study group are going to be beneficial long after you leave school.

Law doesn't exist in a vacuum, so why should you study it in a vacuum? In practice, you'll have to work with others and still be efficient. So why not start picking up that skill now?

And finally, who ever said work can't be fun? It's possible that this isn't the most efficient way to accomplish some of these goals. But at least you're accomplishing them. To use your analogy of the elliptical trainer... the treadmill might be the more efficient piece of equipment, but that is of little help if people dislike it so much that they never use it. If a study group gets you to study even a little bit more, then that seems like it's a good thing.

Study groups are beneficial for a lot of people. You just have to make sure that you're getting something out of them.
Hermione Granger is a gunner.

JG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 06:21:46 PM »
The original poster is simply wrong.   

My study group sessions were some of the most intensive and efficient studying experiences I had in three years of law school.  My study partners and I maintained the same group for the duration of law school--not because we liked gossiping and chatting (we weren't even particularly close friends), but because all of us considered the group extremely beneficial.  For what it's worth, we all ended up at or near the top of the class.  My other posts describe exactly what we did.

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 03:50:43 PM »
Fair enough. Usually gossiping is bad...but I can see where in law school, it might be an important bonding tool...

inremsleep

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 09:18:25 PM »
Fair enough. Usually gossiping is bad...but I can see where in law school, it might be an important bonding tool...

Dude, it's not just "gossiping" if you're actually learning law from it.  If you can explain a concept to someone else in your own words, you truly understand it. 

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 10:16:57 PM »
I agree that learning law is not gossiping.  I guess what I was trying to say came out wrong. Yes, learning through teaching is good strategy, I suppose.  I was just saying that in law school...maybe there is something to be said for gossiping as a bonding technique. That's all.

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 08:28:35 PM »
nobody cares about your gay ass blog...quit spamming loser

And by the way, using "gay" to mean "stupid" is so 1998.

AnneBoleyn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 09:57:52 AM »
And this thread is so 2007...

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 12:40:33 PM »