Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why You Shouldn't Join a Study Group  (Read 6431 times)

Luziana

• View Profile
Re: Why You Shouldn't Join a Study Group
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 10:17:20 AM »
I joined a study group my first year because I do learn better when I can talk about concepts with other people.

My study group did have its moments of distraction and socialization, but in general we got a lot done.  In part, this was because our study group scheduled social events (e.g., we're getting together for dinner Saturday, so we can socialize then), and in part it was because the group's personalities meshed very well.

There was a huge element of accountability, knowing that I had to show up to study -- even if I didn't feel like it-- because my group was waiting for me.  We had one woman who was the organizer, making sure to book study rooms.  Another woman was the motivator, always hounding us to stay on track.  Each of us brought flashcards, supplements, etc.  All we did was run through hypos.  And by the time an exam rolled around, we'd typically done hundreds of hypos. 

Three members of our group (out of the five) graduated in the top 10 percent.  A fourth finished not far behind.  And the fifth is a joint degree student and will graduate next year.  All of us swear that we could not have done as well as we did without our study group.

So, it really depends on the individual.

brianwithani

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why You Shouldn't Join a Study Group
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 03:40:43 PM »
For those of you who found study groups beneficial, how often did you meet?  Was it a structured meeting?  Was there typically a leader who directed the comments back to task when a tangent of gossip developed?  How long did the sessions last and was there a time limit imposed before you even got started? 

I hated working in groups in undergrad but I'm open to a study group if it will be beneficial.  I'm thinking there has to be some sort of structure and consistency to be effective...
"We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, then, is a habit."  Socrates