Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Assistant District Attorney's Hours?  (Read 4165 times)

QWERTY

• View Profile
Assistant District Attorney's Hours?
« on: September 28, 2007, 07:43:54 PM »
Does anybody know how many hours each week an ADA works on average each week?

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Assistant District Attorney's Hours?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 09:23:49 PM »
It really depends on the location. In a rural area, it could be 40-50 hours a week. Urban ADAs often work much longer hours.

GuysRea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 10:29:22 PM »
During our intern orientation this past summer at the Philadelphia DA's office, we were told that new ADAs work approximately 10-12 hours a day during the week with 4-8 hours on the weekend for their first year.

I believe starting salary was $48,000.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 03:21:17 PM »
During our intern orientation this past summer at the Philadelphia DA's office, we were told that new ADAs work approximately 10-12 hours a day during the week with 4-8 hours on the weekend for their first year.

For that many hours per week, that salary is a disgrace.  I work 40 and make that as a law clerk/paralegal.

QWERTY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 04:22:09 PM »

I have a hard time believing this is normal for most DA's offices...

GuysRea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 05:35:22 PM »
Most, if not all, entry-level ADAs in Philadelphia start in Municipal Court. They're dealing with a ton of cases (mostly misdemeanors) and spending their mornings in court. Then, their afternoons are spent preparing the next day's cases. The weekends are used for catching up and clearing their desks ahead of the new week. I was a 1L intern there this past summer and worked on the same floor as the Municipal Court ADAs. They all seemed to enjoy what they were doing, but they acknowledged it was tough work.

I do not think that ADAs have this same schedule beyond their first year.

BTW, there was a profile of a new ADA in Philadelphia in the September 2007 issue of the ABA's Student Lawyer. Check it out, there is some great information in it.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 10:51:09 PM »
There is a HUGE learning curve at the DA's office. I can believe that your first year is going to involve some late nights and more than a few weekends though.  As you get the hang of it and learn how things work, however, things get much easier and closer to 9-5.  You spend extra time on the tough/serious cases, and all the "routine" stuff doesn't take much time (such as the 80 billion drug cases you get)

QWERTY

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 01:03:22 PM »
HAHA, I just looked at the Philadelphia DA's NALP page, and it says they average 210 hours a week, and 41 hours a day.

Obviously a typo, but funny considering the posts in this thread.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 02:57:44 PM »

For that many hours per week, that salary is a disgrace.  I work 40 and make that as a law clerk/paralegal.

Yes, but you will get much more trial experience than at a firm.  After a couple of years as an ADA you will try over a thousand cases; after a couple of years at a big firm you will be lucky if you argued a single motion.

vaplaugh

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 04:38:52 PM »

Yes, but you will get much more trial experience than at a firm.  After a couple of years as an ADA you will try over a thousand cases; after a couple of years at a big firm you will be lucky if you argued a single motion.

If by "try" you mean actually go to trial, I think this differs by office.  I knew one ADA that did 1-2 trials a week (including second chair), another that did 1-2 per month.