Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My law school gripe!!  (Read 4753 times)

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: My law school gripe!!
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 12:11:59 AM »
Enjoy Vegaslaw and your bad education.

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 10:38:01 AM »
That UNLV chick deleted all her posts.  Now my messages look like random rambling.

nocomply

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 11:12:14 AM »
Enjoy Vegaslaw and your bad education.

"Random rambling?" More like a vicious attack.

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 01:27:53 PM »
Come on.  Do you think the quality of education is even close to as good at UNLV as it is at Michigan, or that law review at one compares to law review at the other?

GA-fan

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 01:38:52 PM »
I got into a feud with the UNLV girl earlier last semester. See my -20 rating due to her showing up every 4 hours and dinging me a karma point.

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 02:47:58 PM »
Unfair?

Maybe, but shouldn't you have done more research on your school before enrolling?

Hey Brightline,

The problem is that this is the first year that the school did this.  The second and third year students in one of my classes are in fact graded on a curve for their year; however, they are on the class curve for that subject. 

I know it is not your post, but these part time day students automatically become full time in their second semester and take one class over the summer so that they can also graduate in 3 years.

Kind of a sham if you ask me.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughtful post.
Bumpersticker and Laptop (Attending): MSU '10
Bumpersticker (In): Pitt, Case($), MSU($$$$), Loyola, Cincinnatti($), Toledo ($$$$)
I'm sorry can you hold (WL): American
Dropped call (OUT): OSU

GA-fan

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 03:28:02 PM »
This kind of rankings manipulation (starting students pt for one semester so they don't have to count in teh US News numbers-I'll assume this is why it's being done) are part of the reason I'm incredibly skeptical of the US News rankings. Even if the rankings and the categories they evaluate are legitimate, there are too many opportunities for schools to game the system through loopholes.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 03:53:19 PM »
I got into a feud with the UNLV girl earlier last semester. See my -20 rating due to her showing up every 4 hours and dinging me a karma point.

LOL, you think I was the one who dinged you karma points?  Quite frankly, I don't care about the karma points, and if you do, well, whatever.  Also, I don't have the time to come here every 4 hours just to mess with your karma; only a kid would do such a thing, and it's a shame that this message board would even have the karma system in the first place (what is this, grade school?).

And, it wasn't a "feud" - it was a discussion. You had been very rude to me for no apparent reason, just like that "vicious attacker" PALuff was, who called me stupid simply b/c I choose to attend UNLV as opposed to his oh-so-great, alleged and ridiculously expensive Top-10 school.  Yes, I deleted my posts because, quite frankly, I didn't want other people to attack me on a personal level as opposed to engaging in respectful debate. 

If you think your Top-10 school really provides a much better, richer education, then fine, you're entitled to your own opinion.  However, there are nicer ways of giving this opinion than saying "enjoy your bad education." 

As I told PALuff, I chose to attend UNLV b/c I want to practice in Vegas - my hometown - ONLY.  Living and practicing anywhere else simply won't do for me, despite the fact that I have several family members in California who DID attend Top-10 schools and have offered me jobs with their firms. 

Vegas firms primarily hire people from UNLV, so why would I spend close to $200,000 for an education elsewhere when I can stay here, work, and graduate with a job and without any debt whatsoever simply by attending my home school?  I think choosing the former course of action would be a serious blunder in light of my career goals.  Not all of us want to work for Big Law firms, you know...

In any event, we all take the same damn courses in law school, irrespective of where we attend school, and if one thinks a name is all that it takes to make one's career, then a reality check is seriously needed.

BTW:  unless you attend both UNLV and a Top-10 school, how can you honestly compare the two institutions in terms of academic quality, which is a highly subjective standard anyway?  You speak of your school's ranking as if it amounts to an objective standard:  it doesn't. 

For example, the US News ranking system actually considers the size of a school's library as one of the factors examined in determining which schools are the "best."  Talk about a completely irrelevant factor, esp. in light of the fact that most law students research stuff via Lexis and Westlaw!  So, I don't put much stock in the rankings for this reason alone...

GA-fan

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 03:56:35 PM »
Funny how you can never understand why everyone else here on this site is rude to you.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 03:58:52 PM »
Funny how you can never understand why everyone else here on this site is rude to you.

I've had very few people rude to me on here.  I usually respond to rude and/or misguided arguments by thoughtful debate, which leads to people like you lashing out at ME on a strictly ad-hominem basis.  If you don't think what you and PALuff said to me was rude, then your parents obviously were seriously lacking in the teaching-your-child-some-manners department.