Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My law school gripe!!  (Read 4781 times)

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
My law school gripe!!
« on: September 27, 2007, 10:38:23 AM »
Although I certainly have more than one gripe, I am looking for everyone's sympathy.  I know law students are very sympathetic to one another (just  a little sarcasm), but my school has instituted a part time day program.  This program reduces the classes by taking out 1 of the first year courses for these students.  In place of these students, we have 2nd and 3rd year students who take that class.  This is problematic for two primary reasons. 

First, I have heard from a number of the part time day students (out of 100- only 2-3 work) that they have too much time.  I can't even remember when I got 8 hours of sleep (okay the weekends, but you get my point).  In our other classes, we are of course going to be graded on the same curve as them.

Second, In the classes they are not there, they have been replaced by 2nd and 3rd year students.  Yes, this means that I will be on the same curve as these students. 

This is not only problematic because I hope to do well, as we all do; but, I have a full scholarship that will be lost if I do not attain a 3.0 GPA.  I think this is unfair, because this is a new program and I am sure it is a scheme for the all powerful US NEWS!! 

Anyway, I should probably do some work now, because I have to compete with these students that have way more time already. 

I appreciate your sympathies and your own gripes to make me feel better about mine.
Bumpersticker and Laptop (Attending): MSU '10
Bumpersticker (In): Pitt, Case($), MSU($$$$), Loyola, Cincinnatti($), Toledo ($$$$)
I'm sorry can you hold (WL): American
Dropped call (OUT): OSU

nocomply

• View Profile
Re: My law school gripe!!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 01:06:16 PM »
They have way more time, but you endure 3 years of school when they do 4.  I'd rather do 3.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 02:00:19 PM »
The good news is that the 2L curve is higher than the 1L curve (at least in my school) so it should be easier to attain a higher grade.

However, it's extremely unfair to have 1Ls compete with upperclassmen.  A lot of upperclassmen (myself included) are lazy as *&^% but they know how to take law school exams and they have more experience in reading cases.  I don't know why your school chose to do it but it just seems really unfair and annoying for the 1Ls.  As a 1L you're supposed to compete with the other 1Ls, not throw you into the fray with everyone. 
testing testing 1 2 3

notagunner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 02:29:52 PM »
Take heart that they have lower lsat scores and gpas than you do. 

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 03:54:52 PM »
Unfair?

Maybe, but shouldn't you have done more research on your school before enrolling?

Merely having more time won't help them get better grades, necessarily. It all comes down to what the part time day students do with their time - some will just goof off because they think they have more time than they really do. Others will bust the curve and be top students.

As for the 2L and 3L students, they do have an advantage, unfortunately. By then they know how to take exams and study - well, at least some of them. Others are resigned to getting crummy grades and just want to get a C or pass. Still others in those classes will be repeaters. Repeaters sometimes do very well if they are motivated, others just pass or get a C.

As for LSAT scores / UGPA being predictive of success in law school - what a joke. The number one student at my 1L school (not me) had LSAT scores that averaged out below 150. He goes to a T14 now.Many students with high numbers, who were on scholarship, did not even make the top 1/3 and consequently lost their scholarships.

The bottom line is that law school grades are difficult to predict because law exams (which count 100% of your grade) are not like exams given in other types of schooling. You can definitely increase your chances of getting good / high grades by prepping for the exam instead of just prepping for class though.

This is based on my experience last year at my 1L school.

What are you going to do to increase your chances of getting the grades you need?

I hope you're working on your exam skills.

What will you do if you don't keep the scholarship? I hope you aren't at a private law school.

Something I find funny about the whole "us news gaming thing":

Students at lower ranked schools complain that there school is low ranked, then rejoice when it goes up a few spots. Then they complain about tactics that the school uses to increase said ranking.

The irony of it all is that the rankings mean very little outside of the top two dozen or so schools, with very very few exceptions. Employers just don't care that your school rose from tier 3 to tier 2, or that it went from 96 to 81 in the rankings. You'll still have to have great grades for lots of jobs. The majority of your classmates will not find employment until after bar results come in, plain and simple.

GA-fan

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 06:21:41 PM »
I'd agree that this is all a USNWR rankings game. PT students don't get counted in the numbers, which would lead me to believe the students accpeted into the "part time day program" are those would have brought down the school's numbers. I wouldn't worry about them as competition- if they willingly chose to take less classes and go part time during the day, they don't sound like very serious students and consequentially aren't much of a threat.

nocomply

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 09:33:27 PM »
Take heart that they have lower lsat scores and gpas than you do. 

Wow. You're in law school now, LSAT and GPA are old, forgotten news.

nocomply

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 09:38:35 PM »
I wouldn't worry about them as competition- if they willingly chose to take less classes and go part time during the day, they don't sound like very serious students and consequentially aren't much of a threat.

Not so true. In many cases students do not willingly chose part-time, they choice it because they have no other choice, they couldn't get in to full-time. Many of these students study all day, everyday - then transfer into full-time at some point, with good grades.

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 10:42:48 PM »
No one said you weren't ambitious. They just said you weren't that smart.  And if you think your response "tore down" that of the earlier poster, then you've proven them right.

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 11:37:41 PM »
I'm on law review too, but I go to a top 10 school.  You go to UNLV.