Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: class of gunners? or did i miss the boat?  (Read 3547 times)

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
class of gunners? or did i miss the boat?
« on: September 26, 2007, 11:48:08 PM »
OK, so how necessary is it to hop online and read the unedited cases? It seems like half of my class is doing that, and I don't see the point. I thought the casebook editors took out some of the material to help us learn a certain issue.

Also, is it very helpful to read cases that are cited in the cases we're reading? Ugh. I have so much to read already.

clee750

• View Profile
Re: class of gunners? or did i miss the boat?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 12:25:36 AM »
I think eventually you get to a point of diminishing returns. Is reading the cited cases going to help you understand the law better than you could from just that one case. Maybe slightly, but I think you would be better off spending that extra time reading a hornbook, or an examples and explanation book.

At this poing im reading the hornbook and commercial outline before I read the case. I figure that way I already know the black letter law before I go into the case. I dont spend as much time reading the casebook and I feel like I pick up more information from the case since I already know how it will be decided.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 06:53:43 AM »
I never read the cited cases, nor have I ever went and looked for the unedited opinion when we were just assigned the edited version of the case.

It's a waste of time, IMO, and detracts attention from the material that really does matter.  Also, FWIW, I had a friend who was very into reading the unedited cases, reading LR articles about topics that were mentioned, etc.  He spent so much time focusing on all that crap, that he lost sight of the fact that none of it would be on the EXAM.  Generally, he's been pretty unsatisfied with his grades.

notagunner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 10:47:58 AM »
That's an insane class of gunner.  The edited cases are long enough. 

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 10:49:01 AM »
I have never read the unedited case either.  I don't know anyone who is doing that.  Are you sure that someone in your class wasn't just preying on your paranoia and pulling your leg about this? 

kernelgt

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 09:43:09 PM »
Are you insane!  (look, I understand why you asked the question, being a 1L and all, so I mean no ill will).  However, anyone who reads all of the unedited cases, and especially the cited cases, is retarded and simply suffers from a case of very, very, very, very, very poor time management. 

Read the cases.  That's it.  Or even better, do what some suggested earlier...read the canned briefs and then read the cases. 

The EXAM, not how good at being a gunner you are, is what determines your final grade.   If you think you'll have time to regurgitate more analysis than the BLL you'll extract from the casebook cases alone, you are sorely mistaken and will be very sad when you get your grades. 

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 02:10:40 AM »
I agree with all of the above posters.  Your classmates are crazy.

Your professor doesnt expect you to know information outside the realm of what was taught throughout the course.  He/she just expects you to be able to analyze what you were taught during the course, and analyze it well. 
2L

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 07:52:19 AM »
I think that's great the OP's classmates are reading the unedited cases. Not only are they focusing on the wrong material, but they're also increasing the likelihood of burnout towards the end of the semester. That means the OP stands a better chance of ranking higher than those morons.

JG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 09:52:14 AM »
Reading unedited cases (or cited cases) is just about the stupidest way to study I have ever heard of.

What you're going to be tested on is what professor talks about in class.  Half of what you're assigned to read won't even be tested, let along extra case reading.  What a stupid waste of time.

Eva Destruction

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 10:12:46 AM »
I've read the unedited cases twice.

The first was because the incident happened down the street from where I live and I was curious.

The other time was because I couldn't tell what happened in the case, based on the edited opinion.  The unedited opinion didn't really clear things up, so I won't be doing that again.

If there's anything in the rest of the opinion that the professor needs us to know, they generally tell us.  Otherwise, forget about it. ;)
Hermione Granger is a gunner.