Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cravath  (Read 7188 times)

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cravath
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2007, 12:25:25 AM »
I think at least 50% of the people who got offers from Cravath will probably turn them down to work at another vault firm with less "prestige".  And for good reason...they'll get paid the same, work less hours, and not get treated like monkeys.  Fordham will give you plenty of opportunities, but you will need to crack the top 1/3 to have a good shot at the V100 firms.

There are a lot of places with less prestige that will still treat you like monkeys.

did anyone claim that Cravath is the only such place?
Yale Law School - Class of 09

Coolio

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2007, 12:49:52 AM »
I think at least 50% of the people who got offers from Cravath will probably turn them down to work at another vault firm with less "prestige".  And for good reason...they'll get paid the same, work less hours, and not get treated like monkeys.  Fordham will give you plenty of opportunities, but you will need to crack the top 1/3 to have a good shot at the V100 firms.

There are a lot of places with less prestige that will still treat you like monkeys.

did anyone claim that Cravath is the only such place?

CrazyNazi is a YLS student? LOL! Nice trolling.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2007, 01:38:02 AM »
krazinazi is pretty bright, it wouldnt surprise me if he did go to yale.  Besides the TTT rants, he gives some pretty good advice most times.

Beurre

• Sr. Citizen
  • coming soon,,
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2007, 12:23:04 PM »
Thank you all for your helpful advice.
Having read your messages, I feel a lot better.

Yes, for now, I just need to focus on LSAT and get as high as I can.
And, indeed, if I end up attending Fordham next year, I sincerely hope that Fordham opens up many opportunities that he had.

Thank you all.
Really.

Coolio

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
krazinazi is pretty bright, it wouldnt surprise me if he did go to yale.  Besides the TTT rants, he gives some pretty good advice most times.

You must be KraziNazi's alter ego or just a complete moron.

He gives good advice=bright=YLS?

Hi KraziNazi!

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2007, 02:33:53 PM »

Hi KraziNazi!
[/quote]

yea, ummm... not his alter ego or a complete moron...

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2007, 03:25:04 PM »
what's the chance of working for Cravath with a JD from Fordham?
close to 0?

I googled Cravath and went to "attorney search." Looks like aside from the HYS standard the next primary set of law schools was from NYC. (correct me if I'm wrong - I think Fordam is in the city? - sorry not from there).

Anyways, there were 32 attorneys listed from Fordham, compared w/ 64 from NYU, and 82 from Columbia. 

There were less than 20 attorneys from each of these schools I looked up: Cornell, Penn, Chicago, Georgetown, UVA. (and for the record, ok, only 9 from Stanford).

Another note is I didn't pay attn to attorneys' titles and what they might have implied.

But all in all, it didn't look too bad for Fordam...

Now can anyone sum up what makes Cravath the primier firm in the U.S.? Is their client base fundamentally different than your tyical presitgous firms? (other than the firm's smaller size, etc..) Honest question -- not too familiar with them and what might set them aside.

(alright just lost 20 minutes... back to the studies...)

Coolio

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2007, 03:34:07 PM »

Hi KraziNazi!

yea, ummm... not his alter ego or a complete moron...
[/quote]

hi krazinazi!

csloan999

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2007, 04:10:55 PM »
hi krazinazi!

If you read their posts, they're CLEARLY not the same person.  I'm pretty sure they even got into a fight at one point...I mean really, who would really bother to carry on a fight with themselves weeks ago just to preserve some alter ego??

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2007, 12:42:42 PM »
what's the chance of working for Cravath with a JD from Fordham?
close to 0?

I googled Cravath and went to "attorney search." Looks like aside from the HYS standard the next primary set of law schools was from NYC. (correct me if I'm wrong - I think Fordam is in the city? - sorry not from there).

Anyways, there were 32 attorneys listed from Fordham, compared w/ 64 from NYU, and 82 from Columbia. 

There were less than 20 attorneys from each of these schools I looked up: Cornell, Penn, Chicago, Georgetown, UVA. (and for the record, ok, only 9 from Stanford).

Another note is I didn't pay attn to attorneys' titles and what they might have implied.

But all in all, it didn't look too bad for Fordam...

Now can anyone sum up what makes Cravath the primier firm in the U.S.? Is their client base fundamentally different than your tyical presitgous firms? (other than the firm's smaller size, etc..) Honest question -- not too familiar with them and what might set them aside.

(alright just lost 20 minutes... back to the studies...)

Cravath hires the top students from the top law schools.  More importantly, their partner-per-profit stats are insane - $2,600,000.  Many other top firms have a PPP of about a million, although the very top firms have PPP close to Cravath.  They have a large NYC office and don't have a trillion offices all over the world, so they are very targeted in terms of their client base, advertising, etc.  I think they just have the NYC office and then a London office.