Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cravath  (Read 7838 times)

sheezy

• View Profile
Re: Cravath
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 11:41:13 PM »
thanks for all of the comments. to clarify, i am on the lower side of the top 10%, and my school is regional, at best. no one at cravath attended my school.

from what i can glean, they are apparently making an interest in "diversifying" on some level, additional minorities and other law schools. i guess they don't want a law firm that's 90% HYS.

i guess i should assume the chips are stacked against me. and thanks, csloan999 for your input. i'm really going to try to sell myself, and artfully imply that if offered, i would accept (of course, i would assume they would assume that i would accept since this would be by far my best offer).

any other advice is appreciated, especially if you've done a cravath callback.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 12:09:54 AM »
I think some firms give callbacks and stuff to build the firms reputation, because then you will talk about them to your buddies and stuff like that. I say that because one V20 firm gave about 2/3's of the screening interviewees callbacks and out of my group of five friends (on journals, LR, etc) none of us got offers.  I say this not to discourage you.  Go in, be yourself, have fun, and seem interested.  Just do not be upset in the least if you do not get the job.  If you made i through the screening interview, it probably isnt your personality that will keep you out.  I think a lot of the decision is made before callbacks.  I had some callbacks that went great and no offers.  I had a callback at a firm and the attorneys kept having to take calls and couldnt really talk to me, yet I got an offer.  Its weird.

Good luck... make sure to update after the interview though :)

csloan999

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 12:12:27 AM »
Just to clarify, I'm not saying you shouldnt ALWAYS be selling yourself.  But, at most of my callbacks, I'm fairly conservative and know an offer is likely coming my way, so I just try not to screw that up by trying to put on a show.  This works for the V25-V100 firms, but probably not so much at V5 where they would expect more from you since you're coming in with lower credentials.

Coolio

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 12:37:42 PM »
You said that one has to be top 1-3% realistically to get a job at Cravath. You did not specify school.

Umm...it's called logical inference.

The dude right before me said that he is a 2nd tier law student who is debating on cravath or something like that. So..... I was talking to him. Read the posts carefully.

HTH!

Top 1~3% at T14 is more like Wachtell level. Although I would say more like top5% at Harvard, 3 at CLS, and 1 at Duke (this is assuming WLRK needs lawyers that year).

And you need to stop posting now, they need people every year. They don't interview at Duke. There are a total of 3 Duke people at the firm. You can't get it from OCI.

Yes, but that is just a formality. You can always resume drop.

Beurre

• Sr. Citizen
  • coming soon,,
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 04:16:21 PM »
I am just new to this board, but I  just read this thread a few hours ago, and decided to check Cravath on the website. I didn't know it was such a prestigious firm, so I did a bit of research... on that. When I checked their website and searched for attorneys... Gosh, I saw the name of the guy that I know.. apparently, he became the associate this summer. Mind you, he got his JD from Harvard Law. His name was on Cravath's website. Now, I want to work for that firm.. though my LSAT score won't lead me to Harvard,,, what about Fordham?

what's the chance of working for Cravath with a JD from Fordham?
close to 0?

anyway, I felt extremely lousy today... after all, someone I know is working for such a top firm, when I will never be able to do that...

sigh.

Coolio

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 05:02:42 PM »
I am just new to this board, but I  just read this thread a few hours ago, and decided to check Cravath on the website. I didn't know it was such a prestigious firm, so I did a bit of research... on that. When I checked their website and searched for attorneys... Gosh, I saw the name of the guy that I know.. apparently, he became the associate this summer. Mind you, he got his JD from Harvard Law. His name was on Cravath's website. Now, I want to work for that firm.. though my LSAT score won't lead me to Harvard,,, what about Fordham?

close to 0?

anyway, I felt extremely lousy today... after all, someone I know is working for such a top firm, when I will never be able to do that...

sigh.

To answer you question in short your chances are very very slim. But it doesn't mean that you have no chance.

For you to get a cravath offer from a place like Forham, you have to do extremely well in your class. Law Review + top 5%...etc.. But with that sort of credentials I don't think one would have a problem transferring to Harvard. So in the end, it is really about one's grade more than the name of the school one attended. Fordham is not a bad school at all. 

I heard that Forham is a competitive school. Everyone wants to transfer to CLS or NYU and only top half will get good jobs. So....I suggest you to not think too much about Cravath at this point. Just rock your 1L year and you will have plenty of good options.

:)

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 05:03:49 PM »

close to 0?

sigh.

You are not missing much.  Cravath pays the same as every other decent NY firm.  Heck, even some firms in secondary markets pay as well as Cravath.  Rest assured that at Cravath you will work way more and be treated like garbage.  Every HYS grad will have good exit option no matter what firms they work for, why make your life more difficult than you have to?  But if you think you will make partner, than Cravath is a good pick because it's profitable and locked step partner compensation. 
Yale Law School - Class of 09

csloan999

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 05:35:04 PM »
You are not missing much.

My sentiments exactly.  Trust me, after you've been in law school a couple of years, you'll start to realize what you're REALLY "missing".  There's a lot of tradeoffs involved in the job process that you won't realize until you start interviewing.  I think at least 50% of the people who got offers from Cravath will probably turn them down to work at another vault firm with less "prestige".  And for good reason...they'll get paid the same, work less hours, and not get treated like monkeys.  Fordham will give you plenty of opportunities, but you will need to crack the top 1/3 to have a good shot at the V100 firms.

PS: It's funny that you really want to work for them after "reading their website". hahaha...you'll need to develop a bull detector if you ever want to succeed as a lawyer and find a good firm to work for.

Coolio

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 08:00:38 PM »
This is correct.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 12:09:04 AM »
I think at least 50% of the people who got offers from Cravath will probably turn them down to work at another vault firm with less "prestige".  And for good reason...they'll get paid the same, work less hours, and not get treated like monkeys.  Fordham will give you plenty of opportunities, but you will need to crack the top 1/3 to have a good shot at the V100 firms.

There are a lot of places with less prestige that will still treat you like monkeys.