Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: No thanks, but come back next year?!  (Read 1020 times)

I-Need-a-job

• View Profile
No thanks, but come back next year?!
« on: September 25, 2007, 10:03:09 PM »
I've gotten about 5 rejection letters so far, but one said that despite the ding, they were really interested in talking to me next year to see what my plans are after graduation.  Is this standard? Has anybody else gotten this?  I am waaaaaaay outta their standard league, got the screening interview thru lottery system at my school's OCI. They are HUGELAW but the interviewer and I hit it off, I am thinking this might be the reason....?

sheezy

• View Profile
Re: No thanks, but come back next year?!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 12:30:05 AM »
I got that last year (1L), and received an interview this semester, only to be rejected again.

GA-fan

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 09:15:35 AM »
I would take this more as a "we don't want to bother taking a chance on giving you an offer you're going to decline anyway, but if you have no luck on jobs and we can snag you next year, we might be interested." Either you're good enough for a job this year, or not. It's not like being a 1L where some firms really don't hire anyone. Just find somewhere else to work.

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 05:37:51 PM »
One partner told me that I may get such a letter, but to take it serious.  He said that they only accept so many SAs, but open it up a lot more for starting associates.  I plan to apply to that firm again next year.

However, I think some firms standardly send letters with that message.  Cravath comes to mind.