Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do Most PT Evening Students Do Anything else FT or PT?  (Read 3172 times)

Eva Destruction

• View Profile
Re: Do Most PT Evening Students Do Anything else FT or PT?
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 12:03:40 PM »
I'm part-time evening, and most of us have full-time jobs.

It's a struggle but the folks I sit near seem to be managing.

However, it does seem that it's a very precarious situation.  One small glitch in your schedule and you're in serious trouble.

If work requires extra hours, or a professor dumps extra work on you, there's no free time in your schedule that you can use to get caught up again.
Hermione Granger is a gunner.

mr. keyser soze

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 01:42:44 PM »
Res,

Your program sounds like the exception.

The only thing that makes for a precarious situtation for most of the students in my PT program is the hangover after the weeknight parties.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 08:33:34 PM »
Sorry, calm.  I was slightly off.  Either way, number 100 is the last school in Tier 2, are you really going to split hairs over this one?

I am perfectly calm.  Plus, taking into account the fact that UNLV just a couple of years ago was ranked at number 82, I think it is significant that we're still a tier-2 school, regardless of whether we're the last-ranked school, which, by the way, is impressive b/c we've only been in existence for 10 years.

Anyway, no matter which way you slice it, we are still a tier- 2 school, and not what some people dub a third-tier toilet.  That is why I wanted to clarify, for UNLV is certainly not a bad school, and yet, I'm still having trouble securing interviews for associate positions.  Some have said it's b/c I'm interviewing as a last-year student, while most firms want 2nd-year students, but I'm not so sure this is the real reason...

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 10:52:34 PM »
Sorry, calm.  I was slightly off.  Either way, number 100 is the last school in Tier 2, are you really going to split hairs over this one?

I am perfectly calm.  Plus, taking into account the fact that UNLV just a couple of years ago was ranked at number 82, I think it is significant that we're still a tier-2 school, regardless of whether we're the last-ranked school, which, by the way, is impressive b/c we've only been in existence for 10 years.

Anyway, no matter which way you slice it, we are still a tier- 2 school, and not what some people dub a third-tier toilet.  That is why I wanted to clarify, for UNLV is certainly not a bad school, and yet, I'm still having trouble securing interviews for associate positions.  Some have said it's b/c I'm interviewing as a last-year student, while most firms want 2nd-year students, but I'm not so sure this is the real reason...

I never said it was a "bad school," but it is still a tier 2, which makes it regional at best.  It's not like it has national pull.  I was trying to be supportive of your plight but whatever.  Split hairs over 82, 100 or whatever tier 2 rank you want.  It still has an impact on job opportunities.

Good luck.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 11:35:33 PM »

I never said it was a "bad school," but it is still a tier 2, which makes it regional at best.  It's not like it has national pull.  I was trying to be supportive of your plight but whatever.  Split hairs over 82, 100 or whatever tier 2 rank you want.  It still has an impact on job opportunities.

Good luck.

Thank you.  However, keep in mind that almost all of the firms that interview here actually hire UNLV graduates more so than graduates from other law schools (that's what I've seen, and what I've been told).  That is the only good thing about the local firms here:  they truly support the university, mainly b/c it's the state of Nevada's only law school.  So, with this being the case, it is quite surprising, and unnerving, to me why I'm having such bad luck regarding securing interviews.  Oh well, maybe it's a sign I shouldn't be an attorney, a prospect I've actually considered quite a few times during my entire law-school tenure.  So, sorry if it sounded like I was snapping at you:  I'm just frustrated.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 11:43:16 PM »
Just hang in there.  Also, there are other ways to practice besides a big firm.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 01:31:18 AM »
Just hang in there.  Also, there are other ways to practice besides a big firm.

I'll try.  Oh well, at least I'll soon be out of here for good!  I am so over the whole school thing; well, actually I was over it right after first semester.

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 10:54:45 AM »
At my school (tier one), many of the students (nearly all it seems) who are Part time either have several children (taking care of them is a full time job for sure) or work.  In fact, I don't know of anyone who is part time and does nothing else.  I would suspect that employers would look down on a student if they were part time and did nothing but school. 

I think the bigger issue is that as law students, we spend too much time measuring ourselves against others, and not enough time just looking at ourselves. 

Eva Destruction

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 11:05:22 AM »
Res,

Your program sounds like the exception.

The only thing that makes for a precarious situtation for most of the students in my PT program is the hangover after the weeknight parties.

Based on what I've read here, I agree.
Hermione Granger is a gunner.

mr. keyser soze

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 04:59:18 PM »
I think the bigger issue is that as law students, we spend too much time measuring ourselves against others, and not enough time just looking at ourselves. 

We're not going to law school in isolation and prospective employers are going to measure us against others.

I'm concerned only about myself and how I'll be perceived by prospective employers.  But if 90% of the students in my PT program have 7 days to my 2 to study, I'm probably not going to look so good compared to most of them, provided they make use of that considerable extra time.