Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: POOR GRADES  (Read 4225 times)

lawschoolyuck

• View Profile
POOR GRADES
« on: September 25, 2007, 02:52:28 PM »
I'm at a top 50 law school (not like it matters since I'm not top 15, but still.) I have poor grades after my 1L year, probably in the bottom third of the class. I am on law review but only because I wrote on, obviously. What are my options? I feel like an idiot since my close friends and significant other all have offers from big firms for their summers next year. Is a well paying job out of the question? I'm pretty average all around, i figure the only thing I have going for me is my Journal. Please respond...any advice is welcome, I'm feeling really down.

GA-fan

Re: POOR GRADES
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 04:16:02 PM »
As long as you don't want a biglaw summer associate job, you probably won't be disappointed. With law review, some mid-sized firm will definitely hire you, as long as you have a good interview. I know you say you're not from a T14, but you still have much better options than someone from a T3 or T4 with similar grades. One other thought: if your law review keeps a database of alumni, start contacting them and asking about their firms. At my school at least, law review is an excellent networking resource to get your foot in the door.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 01:42:25 AM »
consider leaving your gpa off of your resume and doing a direct write thing with that.  They will see the law review thing and think you are academically successful.  Worst case, they ask for you grades before they schedule an interview in which case they toss your application in the trash.  Best case, they call you in for an interview in which case you would need to bring your resume probably.  At that point, you are through the door though, so you have a fighting chance that you personality will compensate for your grades. 

Either way, I agree, you are better off then people at TTT and TTTT schools and they get jobs somewhere after graduation.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 08:28:45 AM »
consider leaving your gpa off of your resume and doing a direct write thing with that.  They will see the law review thing and think you are smart. 

Nice backhanded insult.  Just because someone doesn't have the best grades in law school certainly doesn't make them dumb. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 09:51:27 AM »

Nice backhanded insult.  Just because someone doesn't have the best grades in law school certainly doesn't make them dumb. 
[/quote]

That was not what I meant, clearly everyone at the OP's tier one is intelligent or they would not have gotten in.  I meant academic success which I too often correlate with intelligence when really its more of a combination of intelligence, work ethic, and luck when it comes to law school.  I edited my original post to reflect this.  I hate when people are nasty on this site, since I think it is a very helpful forum when you need advice at all.  Therefore, I will try to be more specific when replying to posts so that my comments are not interpreted as such. 

lawschoolyuck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 04:37:57 PM »
Thanks for the help. I mean, I know in the long run I'll get a job...its definitely just frustrating being surrounded by people who are all set for next summer at big firms. Makes me feel inadequate - which i suppose i am, since i dont have the grades!

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 08:49:19 PM »
consider leaving your gpa off of your resume and doing a direct write thing with that.  They will see the law review thing and think you are smart.

Career planning offices generally recommend leaving your GPA off your resume if it's below a certain cutoff.  I have no idea what that cutoff is but if the OPs GPA is very low then it would be better not to include it.  Similarly, if you're outside the top third it's generally recommended not to put your ranking on your resume.

thorc is one of the more polite and civil posters on this site and generally gives good advice... just b/c thorc is giving some candid advice doesn't mean s/he is being asinine about it...
testing testing 1 2 3

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 12:29:41 AM »
I was told that if you don't rank in the top half of the class, to leave it off.

csloan999

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 02:16:54 AM »
I dont know, I'm kind of conflicted on this.  Firms aren't stupid--they know people who leave their GPA off their resume dont have good grades and might just toss your resume away instantly.  On the other hand, the alternative is to put it on there and assure them that you have bad grades and get dinged.  Hmmm....I dunno, what did your career services people tell you?  Has anyone else been successful leaving their grades off their resume?

The main point though is to seek out small to mid-size firms, cause you probably don't have a chance at BigLAW at least in the larger markets (dont know where your school is).  And obviously, really try and sell your writing skills and law review...they like to know that, even if you hate writing (which reminds me, pick a field that requires writing when you give them this BS).

ssls1338

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 12:58:11 AM »
Although this does you no good in terms of your job search, please know that you are not alone. A majority of the kids at lower T1 schools are in exactly the same position as you. Like me for example. My grades after 1L were not bad, but not stellar, landing me in the top 30%.  Like you I am at a T1 but it hardly counts as it is not T14.  I am on a journal, my casenote was chosen for publication, and I had a great federal clerkship last summer. I got an "A" in legal writing last year. I have a few little connections in the area where I would like to work, contacted those people, sent out over 50 resumes, and here we are nearly at the end of recruiting season, and fact of life is, no one wants me either. There is hope for people like us, but relief is not going to come soon. As in, we are going to have to wait 10 years to get the job the top ten percenters scored last month. Law school is a racket. Congratulate yourself for making it as far as you have, reassess your summer job prospects, and move forward. (Doesn't make it suck any less though, I hear ya.)