Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: After the offer...  (Read 2000 times)

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: After the offer...
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 07:04:47 PM »
Because I couldn't get a good job lol?  I have a big law V100 offer in hand, however, I am just saying that there are other big law firms outside of the V100.  Ever hear of the AM Law 200?

Prestige isn't everything.  Plenty of big firm lawyers outside of the top 100 vault ranked firms go on and work at and/or make partner at other big firms.

Get your head out of your ass dude.

Reality is you are a lot more likely to be able to go from a more prestigious to a less prestigious firm - thats why its prestige

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 10:03:06 PM »
Well, I was lucky enough to get one offer and after a ton of callbacks this week, hopefully there will be at least one more. Now, what questions do I ask after the offer? Everyone always says that there are questions that you should only ask after the offer, but what are they? What are ways to distinguish the firms after the fact? Is this the time to ask about billable expectations? Are the V10 really that much worse then V50 in terms of work?

(I am a first generation lawyer and no nothing about this whole process. Career services is even less help, so Im sorry for all the stupid questions!)

A lot of firms welcome you to come back to the firm and meet with more attorneys.  There you can ask them more questions about quality of life, prestige, and whatever else you'd like to ask.  I would strongly recommend that you get your info and rely on advice from attorneys that are actually working in the firm than any advice you'd get from here. 

Speaking to upperclassmen that have worked in the particular firm or in the market may also have some good advice for ya. 

Like you i'm also a first generation lawyer and i've already realized that speaking to practicing attorneys is much more reliable and useful than asking around here...
testing testing 1 2 3

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 10:36:34 PM »
Because I couldn't get a good job lol?  I have a big law V100 offer in hand, however, I am just saying that there are other big law firms outside of the V100.  Ever hear of the AM Law 200?

Prestige isn't everything.  Plenty of big firm lawyers outside of the top 100 vault ranked firms go on and work at and/or make partner at other big firms.

Get your head out of your ass dude.

While that is true, usually, you worded it as if life ends if you aren't in the most prestigious firm possible, which is outright ridiculous.

Reality is you are a lot more likely to be able to go from a more prestigious to a less prestigious firm - thats why its prestige