Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: After the offer...  (Read 1901 times)

SJ228

• View Profile
After the offer...
« on: September 25, 2007, 01:53:57 AM »
Well, I was lucky enough to get one offer and after a ton of callbacks this week, hopefully there will be at least one more. Now, what questions do I ask after the offer? Everyone always says that there are questions that you should only ask after the offer, but what are they? What are ways to distinguish the firms after the fact? Is this the time to ask about billable expectations? Are the V10 really that much worse then V50 in terms of work?

(I am a first generation lawyer and no nothing about this whole process. Career services is even less help, so Im sorry for all the stupid questions!)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: After the offer...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 07:10:26 AM »
If you want to ask about quality of life, now's the time to do it.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 10:25:06 AM »
No, hours are not really that closely linked with firm prestige. The truth is, a lot of the top firms are more profitable because they do work that commands a higher hourly rate. For instance, antitrust rather than employment law in litigation. A lot of times, its the lower ranked firms that have billables requirements. Dewey Ballantine does, Simpson Thacher and Davis Polk do not. Cadwalader will have killer hours, arguably moreso than a lot of V10 firms. I am actually of the opinion that unless you are picking a firm based on a niche practice, you should only go about 10 spots lower down on the vault than your highest ranked firm, unless you really hate that firm. The quality of life will not be different and you will be happy to have the exit opportunities.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 10:51:43 AM »
As with everything on these forums everyone is all about rankings.  Ok, for law school, it matters, but come on people, get your head out of Vault's ass.  If you are working for any biglaw firm making market rate, it is not going to change your life that much if it is not a V100 firm.

Future attorneys who have never worked are so arrogant.  It's ridiculous.  When choosing a firm, you should work where you feel that you would like to spend a career at.  People leave all types of firms for all types of reasons and if that happens down the road, cross that bridge when you get there.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 12:35:18 PM »
As with everything on these forums everyone is all about rankings.  Ok, for law school, it matters, but come on people, get your head out of Vault's ass.  If you are working for any biglaw firm making market rate, it is not going to change your life that much if it is not a V100 firm.

Future attorneys who have never worked are so arrogant.  It's ridiculous.  When choosing a firm, you should work where you feel that you would like to spend a career at.  People leave all types of firms for all types of reasons and if that happens down the road, cross that bridge when you get there.

Oh really? do you know the odds that you will spend your whole career at one firm? The vast majority of people entering a firm will not make partner there, and you should pick a firm with a view to exit options as much as anything else. What your firm's reputation is has a huge impact on that. You have no idea what you are talking about. Don't take it out on other people that you could not get a good job.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 01:00:22 PM »
I think you're correct in stating that the vast majority won't make partner; however, think about the alternative of going to a mid-sized non-vault firm where you can make partner easier.  Wouldn't that give you pretty good exit options as well?   

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 01:44:21 PM »
I think you're correct in stating that the vast majority won't make partner; however, think about the alternative of going to a mid-sized non-vault firm where you can make partner easier.  Wouldn't that give you pretty good exit options as well?   

What makes you think hte exit options will be as good? The clients will not be the same, there will be a lower profile so your firms names wont be recognized by government employers or other firms.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 02:07:13 PM »
My reasoning is that I have seen a lot of Partners at Vault firms who appear to have spent time at other smaller firms earlier in their career. So, they obviously were able to lateral in. That's my guess.  Who really knows.   

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 02:27:03 PM »
My reasoning is that I have seen a lot of Partners at Vault firms who appear to have spent time at other smaller firms earlier in their career. So, they obviously were able to lateral in. That's my guess.  Who really knows.   

I have rarely seen this except in cases where these were very good boutique firms that the vault firm acquired. See: the new york offices of Latham, Covington, snd Clifford Chance. This is not exactly a frequent thing though. Where else have you seen this? At the firm I worked at there were almost no lateral partners.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 03:22:19 PM »
Because I couldn't get a good job lol?  I have a big law V100 offer in hand, however, I am just saying that there are other big law firms outside of the V100.  Ever hear of the AM Law 200?

Prestige isn't everything.  Plenty of big firm lawyers outside of the top 100 vault ranked firms go on and work at and/or make partner at other big firms.

Get your head out of your ass dude.