Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: No Callbacks - Now what?  (Read 9735 times)

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: No Callbacks - Now what?
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 02:00:17 PM »
Sweet, I guess I'm going to start bombing people's inboxes with my resume and cover letters and what not. Thanks for the help on direct writes etc.
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 03:47:03 PM »
Yeah, just hang in there.  It will work out.  Start looking at secondary markets.  However, make sure you do this asap.  Really, it should have been done a couple of weeks ago, but better late then never.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 02:23:56 AM »
You might wanna consider doing a mock interview with your career services people.  With your academic credentials and the number of screening interviews you've been selected for you should be rolling in more callbacks.  Maybe doing a practice/mock interview will help you realize what you're doing wrong. 

Also, Nashville and Charlotte firms generally take a lot longer than NY or DC firms in getting back to you.  The two Charlotte firms I applied to took 3 weeks to invite me for a callback so I wouldn't be discouraged if you've only waited a week. 

Oh I just read that you're home state is Ohio.  Nashville and Charlotte firms generally do not recruit people that are not originally from the area.  You may want to speak to some upperclassmen at Vandy to get their advice but I think your lack of ties to the areas will destroy your chances even if you are geniune in wanting to live and practice there.

Best of luck to ya
testing testing 1 2 3

ibuprofen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 11:59:43 AM »
take all advice you hear with a grain of salt - mine included.  but since you're soliciting, i thought i'd offer some.

my stats: average grades, law review (write on), t25 school.

i'm doing biglaw charlotte next summer.  i didn't get the offer through oci/direct mail; quite frankly, i think sending out 15 resumes a day is a complete waste of your time.  i'm not from charlotte (not even close), but contrary to what anbudom is telling you, (1) charlotte doesn't necessarily take longer than dc/nyc.  i had offers, as did several friends, from biglaw charlotte by late august.  if anything, firms are more likely to do callbacks/give offers early in the cycle, rather than later. (2) not being from charlotte isn't really going to hurt you (if you've been to uptown charlotte, you'll discover that no one is really from charlotte); what you need to do is show you are committed to being there.  i went to charlotte myself, on my own dime, and arranged for interviews.  out of those, i got callbacks, and out of those callbacks, i got offers.

i don't want to be harsh, but also contrary to anbudom, you should be discouraged if you haven't heard back yet.  but rather than doing direct mails, call the firms you're waiting on to get an update!  visit!  make contacts!  don't "bomb people's inboxes" - how is that going to distinguish you from other candidates?  there's no secret to this process; as has already been mentioned, you've got the #s/credentials to work at any firm in nashville/charlotte.  your resume has opened the door, now you have to step through it. good luck man.

ibuprofen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 12:07:12 PM »
btw, what was this quote all about?

Yes but unlike you, I am doing well in law school and am going big law.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 02:08:30 PM »
btw, what was this quote all about?

Yes but unlike you, I am doing well in law school and am going big law.

That quote was in reference to me and I actually chose not to bring it up to him because I'm just a nice guy.  If you're curious though, I did wind up landing a "BigLaw" job paying market. ;D

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 08:29:49 PM »
Mmmmmm . . . delicious crow.

Maybe some humble pie for dessert. 

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 09:59:58 PM »
take all advice you hear with a grain of salt - mine included.  but since you're soliciting, i thought i'd offer some.

my stats: average grades, law review (write on), t25 school.

i'm doing biglaw charlotte next summer.  i didn't get the offer through oci/direct mail; quite frankly, i think sending out 15 resumes a day is a complete waste of your time.  i'm not from charlotte (not even close), but contrary to what anbudom is telling you, (1) charlotte doesn't necessarily take longer than dc/nyc.  i had offers, as did several friends, from biglaw charlotte by late august.  if anything, firms are more likely to do callbacks/give offers early in the cycle, rather than later. (2) not being from charlotte isn't really going to hurt you (if you've been to uptown charlotte, you'll discover that no one is really from charlotte); what you need to do is show you are committed to being there.  i went to charlotte myself, on my own dime, and arranged for interviews.  out of those, i got callbacks, and out of those callbacks, i got offers.

i don't want to be harsh, but also contrary to anbudom, you should be discouraged if you haven't heard back yet.  but rather than doing direct mails, call the firms you're waiting on to get an update!  visit!  make contacts!  don't "bomb people's inboxes" - how is that going to distinguish you from other candidates?  there's no secret to this process; as has already been mentioned, you've got the #s/credentials to work at any firm in nashville/charlotte.  your resume has opened the door, now you have to step through it. good luck man.

ouch... burnnnnn...

well ibu certainly has more experience than me in the charlotte market so i'll defer to his judgment.  But like we been saying, you do have the #'s and credentials to make it so with some effort you should be able to land at least one offer there.  Just make sure you are very convincing and persuasive when you tell them why you're interested in Charlotte during your interviews. 
testing testing 1 2 3

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 11:38:26 PM »
so what ended up happening??

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile