Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to Decline Summer Associate Offer  (Read 5614 times)

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How to Decline Summer Associate Offer
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 09:56:42 AM »
I still think email is NOT the credited response unless the firm emailed you with your offer. You would never decline any other job using email, so I'm not sure why anyone would think it's ok in this context. If you insist on email, make the email a follow up to the phone call you'll make to the recruiter or attorney.
Yes, the call will be awkward, but if anything, they'll seem less awkward the more calls you make. The art of gracefully declining is only gained with practice.

This makes no sense.  There is absolutely no reason to bother busy attorney's with a phone call. You e-mail the decline, you get on with your life. 

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 10:11:01 AM »
In all honesty, who cares what anyone individually does.  I emailed some to deny callbacks and called a couple to decline offers.  It's all about the individual.  If someone wants to spend there time calling Partners to decline, be my guest. I just don't have the time nor patience to do that.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 12:24:47 PM »
i hope i have this problem, but email? seems impersonal and unprofessional. i would be offended if a firm notified me of a ding by email. calling, too, would be awkward.

shucks, i'm so fortunate to be so low class that i took the only offers i got so i was saved from this awkward situation.

why not send an email that personally describes reasons followed by a formal letter to confirm?

congrats on the multiple offers.

One offer is all you need.  Plus there are plenty of people with 0 offers.  Don't put yourself down!

As for canceling callbacks, I think e-mailing might be more practical than calling it in.  I declined 12 callbacks via phone and SIX of them called me back a month later asking if I was ready to come in for the callback... I think the recruiting ppl at these firms are extremely busy and sometimes they might forget to make a note of it on your file.  Leaving messages on their machines is equally unreliable. 

I don't know if other people had this problem but I think it makes life easier to e-mail rather than call it in. 
testing testing 1 2 3

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 01:50:02 PM »
i hope i have this problem, but email? seems impersonal and unprofessional. i would be offended if a firm notified me of a ding by email. calling, too, would be awkward.

shucks, i'm so fortunate to be so low class that i took the only offers i got so i was saved from this awkward situation.

why not send an email that personally describes reasons followed by a formal letter to confirm?

congrats on the multiple offers.

One offer is all you need.  Plus there are plenty of people with 0 offers.  Don't put yourself down!

As for canceling callbacks, I think e-mailing might be more practical than calling it in.  I declined 12 callbacks via phone and SIX of them called me back a month later asking if I was ready to come in for the callback... I think the recruiting ppl at these firms are extremely busy and sometimes they might forget to make a note of it on your file.  Leaving messages on their machines is equally unreliable. 

I don't know if other people had this problem but I think it makes life easier to e-mail rather than call it in. 
I hope the firms Im waiting to hear from have made a note of all the cancellations.  I applied via email to all these firms and they said they wanted to wait to see how many of their callbacks workout before making callbacks to non-OCI schools.  In some respects, it's annoying.  My school is on par or better than the OCI schools.  Perhaps this is the reason people advise you to attend school in the region you want to work.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 01:57:29 PM »

I hope the firms Im waiting to hear from have made a note of all the cancellations.  I applied via email to all these firms and they said they wanted to wait to see how many of their callbacks workout before making callbacks to non-OCI schools.  In some respects, it's annoying.  My school is on par or better than the OCI schools.  Perhaps this is the reason people advise you to attend school in the region you want to work.
[/quote]

I didn't even wait to hear from several of the firms I emailed. Instead, I decided to accept an offer before October.  I know they were probably waiting to go through their OCI recruits, but screw that. I'm not going to wait until they get through their local recruits. 

ngdo2007

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 08:20:23 PM »
You're an arrogant prick!

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 08:41:42 PM »
You're an arrogant prick!

how does that make him an arrogant prick?  I accepted the first decent offer I had to be done.  If a firm doesnt extend you an offer right away, then you arent "what they are looking for" regardless of whether you eventually get one.  Who wants to be second best anyway?  I accepted an offer despite having callbacks I hadnt heard from, because I figured if they cared enough they would have accepted me right away.

ngdo2007

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 08:44:18 PM »
he's on another thread taunting someone with no offers.

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 11:19:04 PM »
If a firm doesnt extend you an offer right away, then you arent "what they are looking for" regardless of whether you eventually get one.  Who wants to be second best anyway?  I accepted an offer despite having callbacks I hadnt heard from, because I figured if they cared enough they would have accepted me right away.

To each his own, but that's not the way it works at all firms.  Some have strict policies of interviewing all candidates before extending any offers.

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 11:24:34 PM »
i thought the best way was to call. i'm not sure about e-mail.  I dont know what to b/c im in this situation as well and I've been putting off rejecting another firm until i have to b/c i am still unsure where i want to work.  my CDO said a telephone call was the proper way to go about it