Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to Decline Summer Associate Offer  (Read 5578 times)

ok123

• View Profile
How to Decline Summer Associate Offer
« on: September 24, 2007, 09:22:21 AM »
    What is the right way to go about declining an offer? I have been lucky enough to receive multiple offers and find myself in this akward situation. Does denying an offe r effectively sever future ties with the firm? I feel like I have been "two-timing" these firms during the interview because they have all gone so well and I have honestly told all of them that I would love to work there. Didn't expect to be having to make this decision and don't want any hard feelings after the process. Any help is appreciated.

GA-fan

Re: How to Deny Summer Associate Offer
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 09:30:22 AM »
I would first use the word "decline" to describe what you're doing. However, I would simply call the main contact you have at the firm (attorney or recruiting coordinator), tell them you've made a tough decision, and then explain that you've decided to accept elsewhere. If you have a legitimate reason (practice group availability, for example), then I would mention that.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How to Deny Summer Associate Offer
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 10:01:02 AM »
I am using email to turn down the firms, i am just going to tell them that the practice group in the firm I am going to is a little more geared towards the path I wanna pursue at this time...

SJ228

• View Profile
Re: How to Decline Summer Associate Offer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 11:49:54 AM »
Do places normally ask you where you did accept an offer from? I feel bad because after convincing them that I wanted to live in that part of the country, I have accepted/going to accept an offer on another part of the country. (I almost want to not respond to the email!)

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 11:57:12 AM »
Despite what some on this board thought, I actually had multiple offers.  I had to cancel a few callbacks and decline offers, which thus far I have done via email.  For firms I was genuinely interested in I simply treated the attorneys like the great people I think they are. I related my reasons for choosing the firm I did and that for the time being the decision is right for me.

I have had very positive responses so far, with some firms actually indicating that I should feel free to contact them if my plans change in the future.

Everybody's happy! ;D

ok123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 12:10:15 PM »
So far it looks like email is the choice for declining offers. A couple of the firms which I have offers from I really liked. Would it be acceptable to send a typed and signed letter letting them know of my choice? I feel like this way they know I was really interested. The only thing I do not want to do is decline by phone. I don't want to say something that could wind up being taken the wrong way by a partner. Thanks for the responses.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 12:12:21 PM »
I concur. I think that for the most part a telephone conversation has more of a chance of going awkwardly then an email.  HOwever, if you really developed a connection with a firm and the courtship has been going on for a while, I would debate calling. 

sheezy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 11:44:29 PM »
i hope i have this problem, but email? seems impersonal and unprofessional. i would be offended if a firm notified me of a ding by email. calling, too, would be awkward.

shucks, i'm so fortunate to be so low class that i took the only offers i got so i was saved from this awkward situation.

why not send an email that personally describes reasons followed by a formal letter to confirm?

congrats on the multiple offers.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 12:00:25 AM »
I think that email is sufficient because first, it gets the message to them fast so they can extend offers to others if they decide to.   Plus, all communication is done through email now anyway.  I think it is important that you show the firms respect and make it a very personal email with reasons for choosing the other firm over them.

I dont know.  A formal letter is probably repetitive.

Maybe you will still get some more offers?

GA-fan

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 08:04:31 AM »
I still think email is NOT the credited response unless the firm emailed you with your offer. You would never decline any other job using email, so I'm not sure why anyone would think it's ok in this context. If you insist on email, make the email a follow up to the phone call you'll make to the recruiter or attorney.
Yes, the call will be awkward, but if anything, they'll seem less awkward the more calls you make. The art of gracefully declining is only gained with practice.