Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to Decline Summer Associate Offer  (Read 5377 times)

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How to Decline Summer Associate Offer
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 11:36:04 PM »
I made phone calls and I think it was the right decision.

As for the quote below... this is especially true in secondary markets where class sizes are small.

To each his own, but that's not the way it works at all firms.  Some have strict policies of interviewing all candidates before extending any offers.
2L

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 09:31:20 AM »
he's on another thread taunting someone with no offers.

hahaha, okay, i thought you were just being mean :)~

yalecollege06

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 11:09:35 AM »
i hope i have this problem, but email? seems impersonal and unprofessional. i would be offended if a firm notified me of a ding by email. calling, too, would be awkward.

shucks, i'm so fortunate to be so low class that i took the only offers i got so i was saved from this awkward situation.

why not send an email that personally describes reasons followed by a formal letter to confirm?

congrats on the multiple offers.

I received dings by e-mail, and even one ding by phone (!). Not a ding after callbacks, but a "we're not calling you back" after OCI, came by phone. And I also got callbacks via REGULAR mail. Weird.

In either the ding or callback/offer case though, I liked receiving the e-mail (vs. regular mail) because it helped me plan.

So when I decline offers, I think I will send e-mails (for speed) but follow up with a regular mail letter (to show sincerity).

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 11:36:51 AM »
Who cares about being sincere when you are turning down an offer?  You e-mail them out of courtesy, but other than that there is no need to send a formal letter.  You are accepting an offer elsewhere and the reality is that they aren't going to consider you next year even if you apply because you dinged them the year before.

yalecollege06

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 05:25:26 PM »
the reality is that they aren't going to consider you next year even if you apply because you dinged them the year before.

Really?
I thought that if you're nice about it...they might consider it if you hate your summer elsewhere and want to reapply to a firm you declined previously?

sheezy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2007, 08:11:31 PM »
e-mail it is. that's what i will do.

yalecollege06

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2007, 10:04:03 PM »
I just checked with Career Services at HLS and was told to CALL in a decline, to the person who originally made the offer! And to be polite, etc. and say positive things about the firm. So as to avoid burning bridges..

sheezy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2007, 10:22:46 PM »
I just checked with Career Services at HLS and was told to CALL in a decline, to the person who originally made the offer! And to be polite, etc. and say positive things about the firm. So as to avoid burning bridges..

oh it's just HLS career services. what would they know?   :D