Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Interviewing at one location, but want to work at another location  (Read 743 times)

lawzombie

• View Profile
Interviewing at one location, but want to work at another location
« on: September 22, 2007, 03:28:35 PM »
I have a call back with a firm that is not in the city I currently live in.  They do, however, have a smaller office here that I would prefer to summer at.  Should I bring this up?  Do you think it is possible to interview at one location and then get a job at another?

SJ228

• View Profile
Re: Interviewing at one location, but want to work at another location
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 04:24:15 PM »
I think it depends on how you got the callback invite. If you did a screening through OCI and they purposely called you back for the other office, then I think you have to go for the other office. If this is your first time meeting with the firm, then it might be ok. The impression that I got was that screening interviews can be for any office, while callbacks are for the specific office.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 07:55:06 PM »
I have a call back with a firm that is not in the city I currently live in.  They do, however, have a smaller office here that I would prefer to summer at.  Should I bring this up?  Do you think it is possible to interview at one location and then get a job at another?

I think it would be a bad idea to tell them during the interview that you are not interested in working for them.  I think you missed your opportunity to do that.  However, if you really like the firm, you may want to consider trying your best at the callback, praying for an offer, then broaching the subject with the recruiting coordinator once an offer is out there.  You can always ask if the firm will let you split the summer and work half where you are interviewing and half where you want to work.  I was considering trying to split between a DC and NY office.  If I get an offer from my top firm, which has a big presence in both, I will broach the subject with the recruiting office.  This is probably the best option to try. 

However, if you already have an offer from a decent firm where you want to work, you may just want to say F**K it and just ask them about working in another place.  I think it will cut down your chances, but you never know.  Good luck in whatever you do though...

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 08:55:07 PM »
Offices of firms tend to hire for themselves.  The small office in the city you want to work will be interviewing for themselves - just because you have a callback and perhaps an offer from another office will likely mean squat for them.

You should apply to the smaller office, and express your interest in the firm.  When/if you get an offer from the office in the other city, then as thorc suggested, talk to them about whether the smaller office is also hiring summers.