Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Study group  (Read 663 times)

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Study group
« on: September 20, 2007, 10:56:56 PM »
My most recent source of angst: What if I can't find a study group? I've heard they're beneficial and all that (kinda sucks, since I'm more of a loner when it comes to studying. I don't like listening to other people before tests, etc.). I'm just afraid I'll be left at a disadvantage if I don't find anyone.

JG

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Study group
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 11:49:32 PM »
I say don't worry about it.  I had a study group all through law school and liked it, but that was mostly because it motivated me to study the material on my own so I was prepared for the study group meeting.  Most of the actual learning occurred outside the group. 

I'd say that the vast majority of law students, including the successful ones, quit doing study groups after the first semester.  Most people find them to be a waste of time.

Also--the only thing our group did was meet for a marathon session (one to three LONG days) a couple of days before the exam, going though our outlines and making sure we understood every rules and case.  That's the kind of study group you can form closer to finals.  But again, I don't think it's necessary.

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Study group
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 08:10:18 AM »
My study group didn't really gel until around November and we started getting after Thanksgiving and really cranking through everything. I am also more of an independent studier, so it didn't really bother me. I suspect as the semster moves on, you will find like-minded people you want to study with and everything will work out.

I don't think study groups are essential to law school success but I enjoyed my group and we all still hang out and plan to work together again this semester, even though we only have a few overlapping classes. I think having the group forced me to actually sit down and study, which I am not always good at doing on my own. If you are motivated than I am, then you may not need it.