Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to get started on hypos? Panic is slowing me down on practice answers.  (Read 1624 times)

TitoJay

• View Profile
Re: How to get started on hypos? Panic is slowing me down on practice answers.
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 12:08:49 PM »
Seriously...first of all CHILL OUT!

Second of all, practice, practice, and practice some more.  Your goal is to eventually reach the point where you read through a question and a major issue jumps out at you.  It helps to compare "hypos" as you call them in your old practice test.  Think about what each question is emphasizing.  Ask yourself how the questions are different and where the professor is pointing you towards.  For example, in Contracts, if you read a hypo which gives you all of these facts about the interaction between two people in coming to an agreement, you want to talk about the different ways a contract can be formed.  This is different from a hypo which gives you facts about two people with an ongoing contract and one of them has failed to fulfill their end of the bargain.  In this case you would probably want to discuss the remedies for breach of contract.  Learn do distinguish the different types of hypos!

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 12:19:39 PM »
Thank you all for such great advice! I realized today in class when we were going over the hypo that the professor's intent of giving us these hypos was to hone in one issue (the one we were studying), and not spot all of the issues (which range from rules we have covered to ones that we have not).

I don't entirely agree with this approach, but I felt a lot better... I think for future when assigned a hypo for practice, I'll hone in my take on the scenario to argue for and against the one rule he wants us to review.

Thanks again! Please keep the advice coming :)
Vanderbilt 2010

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 02:12:48 PM »
That's probably a good idea. I've done just a couple and found myself looking for the names of the individuals or corporations, because issues arise out of their divergent desires. I'm just throwing darts since you've probably done more of these than me, but try focusing on the people one at a time and asking yourself what they want or don't want. That'll get your mind off the law and ground you in a practical approach.

LEEWS troll?

j/k, I do find this idea to be helpful though (although I'm yet to take my first exam).

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 08:33:32 PM »
That's probably a good idea. I've done just a couple and found myself looking for the names of the individuals or corporations, because issues arise out of their divergent desires. I'm just throwing darts since you've probably done more of these than me, but try focusing on the people one at a time and asking yourself what they want or don't want. That'll get your mind off the law and ground you in a practical approach.

LEEWS troll?

j/k, I do find this idea to be helpful though (although I'm yet to take my first exam).

LEEWS? Wuzzat?  ::)
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."